you know that noise you get..

Side valve, 803, 948, 1098., 1275 and Vizard mods

you know that noise you get..

Postby LittleBluePickup » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:35 pm

..when you're slowing down - the wonderful rasping farting noise that only Minors seem to make. Well today it's gone and is replaced by a loud dull knocking sound. It's not a knocking and the rasping, it's just knocking. The sound is only there when decelerating (or perhaps when the clutch is in   :cry: )..

As an aside, but this may be a clue, a couple of weeks ago a car pulled in behind me on a dual carriageway and stuck his hazards on. He then passed me and a few minutes later there was a clang and the sound of something bouncing away underneath the car. We had a look but couldn't see anything obviously missing and we used the truck on quite a long run at the weekend and he didn't miss a beat.

So what makes the car 'parp' like that - the exhaust feels solid. Is there something that cushions it that could have fallen free (it's a pickup remember, so side exhaust).

Any ideas?

Simon
OEW 2 door called Bunty (and a funny green Riley thing)
Oxfordshire/Buckinghamshire borders
Webmaster Oxon/Berks MMOC
www.bucksinfo.net/mogbox
LittleBluePickup

Postby bmcecosse » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:27 pm

I suspect at least part of the exhaust has fallen off!  Get out and get under.........

bmcecosse
Deceased Member
Deceased Member

Awards: 3
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) MMO Annual Award 2017 (1)

Postby LittleBluePickup » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:17 pm

Ok, am back from two weeks hols and took the truck around the village. I have been underneath and can't see anything amiss - all of the exhaust appears to be still in place so I thought I'd list the symptoms and see whether you guys can help.

- The sound is like someone kicking the car from below and appears to come from below the bulkhead.

- It is speed related

- It happens with the engine off and the car rolling. It only happens when the car is moving.

- It dos NOT happen when accelerating/motoring but starts immediately when you take your foot off the gas

- The familiar moggie 'f*rting' sound has disappeared completely

- It happens regardless of the clutch pedal position

Any ideas anyone?   :cry:

Simon
www.bucksinfo.net/mogbox
LittleBluePickup

Postby bmcecosse » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:22 pm

Bulge in tyre or loose wheel nuts !!  - something wrapped around the prop shaft - prop shaft joints worn.  The 'fart loss' doesn't seem to be related - if the kicking happens even with engine off - and you are SURE the exhaust is complete and not hanging loose or broken. Unless - engine mounts and/or stabiliser broken - and the exhaust is leaning on the body where it leaves the engine bay  - and has come loose at the manifold due to the banging ??

bmcecosse
Deceased Member
Deceased Member

Postby LittleBluePickup » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:21 pm

It's official - I am an idiot - 3 of the nearside wheel nuts were just floating. Will sort and test tomorrow but this must be it.

Thanks Roy

:oops:
www.bucksinfo.net/mogbox
LittleBluePickup

Postby bmcecosse » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:34 pm

Glad to be of service...........

bmcecosse
Deceased Member
Deceased Member

Re: you know that noise you get..

Postby 58 MOGGY » Wed May 16, 2018 7:41 pm

Good shout bmcecosse,I wouldn’t have thought of that,probably saved a big incident
Few years ago in my classic mini,started making grumbling noise,convinced it bad driveshaft,carried on driving then my wheel flew off,stupidly I hadn’t tightened wheel nuts after taking off axle stands,cost me repair to wing and respray front end, car had only done 50 miles after full rebuild
Again good spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dunk
58 MOGGY

England (en)

Return to Engine