Propshaft Spigot Dimension

Standard & modified running gear
pgp001
United Kingdom

Propshaft Spigot Dimension

Post by pgp001 »

Does anyone happen to know the exact outside diameter of the propshaft where it enters into the tailshaft bush and seal etc.

I have been informed by someone that it is 1.1875" but one of the spares suppliers tells me it is 1.2", I need to know an accurate measurement so I can machine the bush to size.

Thanks
Phil

PoolGuy
England

Re: Propshaft Spigot Dimension

Post by PoolGuy »

Just measured my spare one at 1.175”, the chap who fitted the new bush in the gearbox reamed it to fit the prop. If I set my vernier to 1.2” it’s a loose fit.

pgp001
United Kingdom

Post by pgp001 »

Hi Poolguy

Thanks for the reply, are you absolutely certain yours is 1.175" and not 1.1875" ?

John Evans Gearbox Co, has told me to ream the bush out to 1.1895 so it has 0.002" clearance on the 1.1875" propshaft yoke.

Phil

PoolGuy
England

Post by PoolGuy »

Mine is probably worn, as are many of them? The chap who reamed it out wouldn't do it without the spigot, for that very reason.

pgp001
United Kingdom

Post by pgp001 »

I think I might have to bite the bullet and remove my propshaft again, and remember to measure it this time round.

Thanks
Phil

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Post by Custard »

Unless you can leave the gearbox out a while.

Assuming you want to remove engine and box for some other reason and are not intending to remove the prop at all.

In which case remove engine and gearbox and measure the prop in the car, though it is better if whoever machines the bush has the propshaft to hand.

Refit after the new bush has been done.

Sean.

pgp001
United Kingdom

Post by pgp001 »

Hi

I am machining the bush myself in the lathe, it is for a spare gearbox I am rebuilding to keep for if I ever need another one fitting to my car.
So I think I will have to measure my prop shaft just to be sure I get it right.

Thanks
Phil