Hello, new owner with a few questions!

If you are new to the board or have never made a post before, don't just lurk around, post in here and introduce yourself and your Minor if you have one. It would be great to hear from you.
DCM_70Van
New Poster
England

Hello, new owner with a few questions!

Post by DCM_70Van »

Hi
I am back owning a MM after 35 years away, this time a 1970 Van in OEW.
I have been going through the mechanicals and trying to work out what I have got.

The block has the number RKM1129E 69633 which seems to be a silver seal 1100 (1098). It has no removable side plates
The head is a 12G940 so from a 1275, it has the wide gap between the heater valve and the rocker cover and 9 studs to mount it.
The manifold is 12G3538 which seems to match the head as a 1275 for a mini. It is drilled (looks like from factory for a servo) The plate to attach the carburetor has a 4 studs (one sheared off!).
It has what looks to be a HS4 carburetor with a 2 bolt fixing to the manifold - it used the diagonals, and seals OK.

The carburetor needs some work, and wonder what people would recommend for general smooth running and reliability (the missus will drive it)..
1. Go for a standard manifold and fit an HS2 - I already bought one thinking to fit - might have to send back.
2. Repair the HS4, or get a new one with 4 mounting bolts? Any idea what car this would have come off?

One more question, this engine has a mechanical fuel pump, any issues with that. I have an electric one on another car and am sick of thumping it with my shoe to get it ticking!

I am going to try and attach some pictures
Thanks in advance from Somerset
David
5ccc503e7a5f475a-photo.JPG
Manifold with 4 stud mounting
5ccc503e7a5f475a-photo.JPG (389.68 KiB) Viewed 75 times
EXIF-Data show/hide
Original image recording time:
2020:06:23 21:17:33
Image taken on:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:17 pm
Focus length:
4.25 mm
Shutter speed:
1/25 Sec
F-number:
f/1.8
ISO speed rating:
Whitebalance:
Auto
Flash:
Flash did not fire, auto mode
Camera-manufacturer:
Apple
Camera-model:
IPhone XS Max
Exposure program:
Normal program
Exposure bias:
0 EV
Metering mode:
Pattern
Attachments
9f7ccb5f16f5250d-photo.JPG
Mess of a carburetor next to a new HS2 which will not fit!
9f7ccb5f16f5250d-photo.JPG (407.07 KiB) Viewed 75 times
EXIF-Data show/hide
2020:06:23 18:32:03
Image taken on:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:32 pm
Focus length:
4.25 mm
Shutter speed:
1/33 Sec
F-number:
f/1.8
ISO speed rating:
Whitebalance:
Auto
Flash:
Flash did not fire, auto mode
Camera-manufacturer:
Apple
Camera-model:
IPhone XS Max
Exposure program:
Normal program
Exposure bias:
0 EV
Metering mode:
Pattern

MM
United Kingdom

Re: Hello, new owner with a few questions!

Post by MM »

Congratulations on your acquisition! :raz:

If the engine block has no side plates (tappet chest covers), it may well be a 1275. There may be extra identifying casting numbers stamped on the block itself, usually on the manifold side.

Yes, a mechanical fuel pump should be fine. IIRC, those were only fitted to the likes of Austin A30/A35 and later on, Metros and such.

I would refurbish the HS4, which is what was fitted to a 1275, or better still, fit the later HIF 38 (if it is a 1098cc) or HIF 44 (if it is a 1275cc), which gives far better driveability in traffic and better fuel consumption. It should fit straight onto the HS4 manifold.

Maurice, Kent.
1970 Trafalgar Blue Traveller

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... read=37056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mecanglais
Formally known as chesney
France

Contribution Stars

Post by Mecanglais »

Hi and welcome.

As above, you appear to have a 1275 engine. I think the only other solid casting (no tappet chest covers) A series blocks are certain (transverse obviously) Cooper S blocks, maybe the 1071 Cooper block? Which plainly you don't have. Somewhere on it there will be an aluminium tag that is stamped '1275'.

Identifying features can be the oil filter location, a spin-on filter high up on the left hand side (from front) of block above starter/dizzy has Marina/Ital origins.

Lower canister (or spin on) filter on a 'remote' housing directly in front of starter motor is a Midget derived block.

If you are lucky you will have casting ribs on the outside of the block, and the dizzy held in place with a bolt and fork rather than the earlier twin bolt clamp design, meaning a stronger (and more desireable) A+ block.

I believe I am right in saying that RKM/SKM are Unipart rebuild numbers. You might be lucky and have two roughly stamped letters on the engine tag itself that show regrind/rebore size but I think these were phased out when Unipart took over.

My advice would be to find and fit an HIF44 when you can, no rush, they are just a nicer, better carb. The HS4 was standard to the Marina 1300 so will be well matched to your engine, but a HIF44 is slightly larger and a bit more 'modern'. It should fit on your manifold, but you will need to fit all studs, and find a matching plastic spacer, rigid plate and air filter assy.

DCM_70Van
New Poster
England

Post by DCM_70Van »

Thanks for your comments MM and Mecanglais

I had a look at the block and I see 12G 2398 above a Leyland symbol. The oil filter is a spin on - does not look like a conversion - high above the starter, so it looks like a Marina block. I posted a photo of the manifold side of the block as I am not quite sure about the casting ribs? I also posted a pic of the dizzy clamp, looks like the bolt and fork you mention too.

I will have a go at refurbishing the HS4, though it does have the lug for the choke cable cut/broken off. The cables are the main issue with the refurbishment as I don't seem to have the correct plate and the throttle and choke cable are not well secured, already had 1 over revving incident when the throttle cable jammed open! I will also look at finding an HIF44 and ancillaries ....

At least I will be ordering the right parts now, just need to find a heater valve that will not foul the battery!

Thanks again
David
18ffc63d2e786ca9-photo.JPG
Block, manifold side
18ffc63d2e786ca9-photo.JPG (426.2 KiB) Viewed 54 times
Block, manifold side
Block, manifold side
EXIF-Data show/hide
2020:06:28 11:09:23
Image taken on:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:09 am
Focus length:
4.25 mm
Shutter speed:
1/7 Sec
F-number:
f/1.8
ISO speed rating:
Whitebalance:
Auto
Flash:
Flash fired, compulsory flash mode
Camera-manufacturer:
Apple
Camera-model:
IPhone XS Max
Exposure program:
Normal program
Exposure bias:
0 EV
Metering mode:
Pattern
4f436b1d14dc2c8c-photo.JPG
Dizzy clamp
4f436b1d14dc2c8c-photo.JPG (433.66 KiB) Viewed 54 times
Dizzy clamp
Dizzy clamp
EXIF-Data show/hide
2020:06:28 11:09:40
Image taken on:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:09 am
Focus length:
4.25 mm
Shutter speed:
1/4 Sec
F-number:
f/1.8
ISO speed rating:
Whitebalance:
Auto
Flash:
Flash fired, compulsory flash mode
Camera-manufacturer:
Apple
Camera-model:
IPhone XS Max
Exposure program:
Normal program
Exposure bias:
0 EV
Metering mode:
Pattern

Panky
United Kingdom

Post by Panky »

Hi and welcome. Looks like a Marina A+ block. You can get round the heater issue with a spacer like this, I bought a couple of heater valve flanges and a barrel nipple to make it. You will also need to notch the engine steady to clear the fitting. This set up is for the cable operated heater valve, if you have the simple brass hand valve then you shouldn't need the spacer

Mecanglais
France

Contribution Stars

Post by Mecanglais »

Looks as though you actually have a Morris Ital block, they were fitted with A+ engines as standard, basically the same but a few subtle differences. A lot of the fittings (confusingly) have metric 'heads' but imperial threads, which can get a bit confusing, but they are generally close to their imperial counterparts.

Another way around the heater is just to fit a stub from a Mini 1000 type engine, the valve is a big source of leaks anyway, and the flow of water is better with a permanently open system.

Part of the beauty of the HIF carburettors is that the springs are contained on the carburettor body, it makes return spring 'accidents' rare.

MM
United Kingdom

Post by MM »

I think you have a Marina block; the Ital had the A+ version with strengthening ribs. This thread shows the differences (about half way down the page):
http://www.mg-cars.net/mg-midget-sprite ... 910160.htm

Has the matching Marina gearbox also been fitted, or is it mated to the Minor 'box?

Maurice, Kent.
1970 Trafalgar Blue Traveller

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... read=37056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mecanglais
France

Contribution Stars

Post by Mecanglais »

Quite right, I didn't look closely enough at the photos, it has the early dizzy clamp arrangement...

DCM_70Van
New Poster
England

Post by DCM_70Van »

Hi

I have not checked, nut I am guessing it is the original MM gearbox - I remember that 1st gear noise from my old 63 four door I had 30+ years ago. Anything to be concerned about with the original gearbox?

Also, thanks for the tips on the heater valve - do you think one of the angled Mini ones will fit?

I am also thinking that the 25D distributor I have sourced might be the wrong one for this engine and I will need to find a 45D?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks again the forum has been super helpful
David

Mecanglais
France

Contribution Stars

Post by Mecanglais »

A 25D and 45D are essentially interchangeable. Marina engines as standard had no vacuum advance unit and a 45D distributor, but these are commonly retrofitted. A 25D will work as well as a 45D in normal conditions, the 45D is just more 'modern'. You might need to check the numbers stamped on the bob weights in the distributor, or ask vendor (if new) if the advance curve is suitable for a 1275.

I have used a Mini stub before now to fit the heater with no issues.

The Minor gearbox will last fine if driven sensibly.