'New' Traveller

Finishing, Windows, Hoods & Trav wood etc
snowmanbill
Scotland

Contribution Stars

'New' Traveller

Post by snowmanbill »

Started stripping my new toy today. Bodge, upon bodge, upon bodge and rust everywhere. For example what I thought was a neat row of spot welds is in fact a row of self tappers keeping in place a patch on the floor. Sills repaired with plate and some pretty poor quality gas welding everywhere. Rotten wood clearly from two different donors - I could go on and on. Mechanicals are quite good strangely enough.

To be honest I should just have walked away and found another but this one has some sentimental (family owned when new) attachment. So here goes - I may be some time. I'll try and post some pics once the strip down is further on. The thing I'm not short of in these horrible times is time.

Plin
United Kingdom

Contribution Stars

MMO Annual Award

Misc

Re: 'New' Traveller

Post by Plin »

:D Welcome to the forum Bodge !! Look forward to hearing more of your new Traveller toy's adventures!

murrayminor
Ireland

Post by murrayminor »

Its always great to start another project, such a shame we have to work through so many of other peoples bodges.
On my current project I have had my fair amount of bodges, and this is on the good side of the car, god only know what's in store on the bad side.

Just remember its another minor saved and good luck, some pictures would be great.

snowmanbill
Scotland

Contribution Stars

Post by snowmanbill »

She needs new floors, cross member and sills - both sides, the nearside A post is attached by a dod of cataloy and that's before I look at the engine compartment / inner wings. I really need a plan of where to start sills first?, crossmember? or floors?

Mecanglais
Formally known as chesney
France

Contribution Stars

Post by Mecanglais »

Depends what it needs to be honest. You'll probably get a different answer from everyone.

I would get the inner sills changed first (leaving other sill and centre crossmember plus what's left of floors plus bracing to keep shape), then centre crossmember, chassis legs, then floor, outer sills and A pillars to ensure best door alignment afterwards. Whatever you do, bracing is a wise move.