Servo position and reservoir

Rebuilding, adjusting, maintaining & alternatives

Servo position and reservoir

Postby Carty » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:22 am

Hi All
Slowly getting my 1098 back together. Looking at the brakes, I have Mr Grumpy disks on the front and replaced the master cylinder. I have the ESM servo and remote reservoir kits. I’ve changed all the pipe work, but wondering where to fit the servo / reservoir. Any advice / tips greatly received. Many thanks
Carty
New Poster

Great Britain (GB)

Re: Servo position and reservoir

Postby Plin » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:58 pm

Very sorry I can't help with your query - just wanted to say welcome to the forum :D (Look forward to hearing about the progress of your Minor getting back on the road.)
Plin

Awards: 12
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1) Contributions 2019 (1) Contributions 2020 (1)
MMO Annual Award 2016 (1) MMO Top Tester (1)

Postby chesney » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:17 pm

Servo, I've generally found, is best mounted on the tie plate on the L/H (looking from the front) side.
I prefer to fit them with the nose facing backwards (towards the drivers seat) as the brake pipes face towards the middle then as opposed to the outside, and it doesn't get in the way of the fresh air heater pipe. The rear bracket (drill holes obviously) I mount to the tie plate, the nose bracket either again on the tie plate (might have to trim or shorten it for best orientation) or on the inner wing.

When fitting, I would remove the starter and distributor, and test as fitting servo that you can still remove and refit these as needed.

I also 'throw away' the brake pipes in the kit and make new ones, and do away with the T piece, fit a banjo bolt like on the rear cylinders/master cylinder rear to the existing front 'T'. Makes it much easier/simpler.

Piping is straight forward, one line from master with banjo blanking bolt to the 'middle' fitting in the servo, the one on the end goes to the brakes.

Consider either blanking off the brake light switch and fitting a mechanical one or relocating the brake light switch before the servo, these have been known to break prematurely, they were never designed to have servo effort. Particularly new switches.

The remote fill is generally mounted either on the bulkhead or (my preference) on the inner wing support bracket, makes it more excessable. I would do away with the horrible plastic hosepipe in the kit and rig up a proper solid cunifer pipe with proper fittings, the supplied pipe tends to leak.

You can drill a hole next to where the tie extension plate is to run the pipe for the remote fill down in the chassis leg, or run it down the inside of the chassis leg.
chesney
I beat the Great MMO Challenge!

Awards: 1
Contributions 2013 (1)

France (fr) UK Yorkshire (eu)

Postby Carty » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:10 pm

Hi. Thanks so much for your help. The pipe work included in the kit seemed to suggest putting the servo on the bulk head on the off side. I thought that might lead to possible air in the system. I’ll let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the welcome. I was a member here a while ago, but my restoration got put on hold, so guess was locked out due to inactivity lol.

It’s a 64 1098 4 door. Was let down by someone who was supposed to be doing the work. 12 months on and they had done little.
So far I have

Changed front brakes to Mr. Grumpy disks
Changed driver side king pin and top and bottom trunnions
Replaced the seized up engine with reconditioned one suitable for unleaded
New rear pads and cylinders

After the servo it’s to be near side front chassis leg replacement, so any tips on that one greatly received, I may get a man in for this as it seems like quite a job for an amateur.
Next will be the wiring loom, then back together and hope it stars / stops before going to the paint shop and getting new interior.

The paint job has been made all the more difficult as the joker who had it for a year stripped all the existing off, leaving it to oxidise in his garage.

I’m finding this forum a real source of practical help and encouragement. Thank you all
Dave
Carty
New Poster

Great Britain (GB)

Postby MickEssex » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:22 pm

Welcome back.
I have mine fitted on the tie plate on the other side, just have to be careful not to fit it or the brake pipes too close to the exhaust.

p.s.
Nobody gets locked out through inactivity if you know your old username and email address I can merge the old account into this new one for you. :)
MickEssex

Awards: 12
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1) Contributions 2019 (1) Contributions 2020 (1)
MMO Annual Award Winner (1) Members Choice Award (1)

Great Britain (GB) UK Essex (.m)

Postby plastic orange » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:17 pm

My servo is on the O/S bulkhead. It was a kit from Owen Burton and I believe that's where it fitted as there is a bracket that mounts it. Front chassis legs is a job i'm doing just now - put off for years and only being done to keep me busy in the lockdown. If legs are unmolested, then job should be ok, but mine had front sections poorly attached and tie plates that were like a mountain range. It's a lot harder fixing a bodge. I'll put pics up on the thread about the car on the moderate section - my minors part 3.

PO
Undefeated best Orange Hawaiian award Pateley Bridge 5 years in a row.
plastic orange

Awards: 11
Members Choice Award (1)

Scotland (sf) UK Scotland (.j)

Return to Suspension, Steering & Brakes