Use a Series Land Rover Daily???

Non Mog stuff

Use a Series Land Rover Daily???

Postby Wyliecoyote » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:12 pm

What do we think? Is the Series Land Rover the perfect daily driving classic car?

https://youtu.be/_n8QqSkoVbI
Wyliecoyote

Re: Use a Series Land Rover Daily???

Postby chesney » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:29 pm

I think yes, but then I am biased! Only vehicle (on the road) at the moment.

IMG_20191117_115810.jpg
chesney
I beat the Great MMO Challenge!

Awards: 1
Contributions 2013 (1)

France (fr) UK Yorkshire (eu)

Postby MM » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:13 pm

It sounds like they leak a bit, but then so does my Traveller in all this heavy rain. :roll:

I've driven a few Landies, and tbh, they are a bit awkward to get in and out of, as well as feeling somewhat cramped and agricultural/clonky. But, I guess in hard-core off-road situations, they really come into their own...
Maurice, Kent.
1970 Trafalgar Blue Traveller

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... read=37056
MM

Postby chesney » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:32 am

They do leak, are awkward to get in and out of, fairly cramped (particularly with half sliding windows), pretty agricultural and very definitely clonky. But their flaws are conversely their charm (to me at least!).

They are the ultimate blend of having the absolute bare minimum of frivolities yet enabling that it can do (within reason) anything that is asked of it, or can be adapted easily to do so.

In terms of whether they are a good daily driver or not (if that's the discussion), I would suggest that they are something that must be tried and approved of, they are not cars in the strictest sense, they were marketed as a tractor for the road. I would add to what the chap said in the video that the steering lock is poor, meaning tight car parks or tight angles into drives or garage doors can be awkward, especially in a 109 (I don't find the steering overly heavy actually, in spite of the 235 tyres on mine, though mine still has the standard larger steering wheel which the one in the vid doesn't). The other thing to consider, sadly, is the number of thefts of Land Rovers that occur, I know this is not an issue specific to them but if they don't take the Rover itself they will remove the exterior panels from the outside with basic tools (there are options put there to stop this but it needs mentioning). Hard tops suffer from condensation forming on the inside of the roof (which is annoying when it drops down the back of your neck). Covering the inside surface with matting or carrying a few dehumidifier packs helps. The steering system is fairly 'complex' with a steering box, a steering relay, steering column bushes, and 6 individual track rods to dictate direction (before the swivels or wheel bearings), these must be checked and serviced frequently otherwise you get the (somewhat characteristic it has to be said) Land Rover vague steering syndrome!

They are easy to get your head around, most bits are laid out with the attitude of being able to fix easily (apart from having to remove the gearbox from the top, not underneath unless it's a military one with removable crossmember). The 2.25 diesels are noisy and slower, but achieve comparatively better MPG (26), the petrols are much more quiet and refined but are thirsty (especially the 2.6 straight 6 engines). A lot have 200 or 300TDI's now, which are a good engine, but equally as noisy as a diesel and are getting expensive.
chesney
I beat the Great MMO Challenge!

Awards: 1
Contributions 2013 (1)

France (fr) UK Yorkshire (eu)

Return to Off Topic