pancake filter advice

Standard & electronic conversions

pancake filter advice

Postby cococola » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:07 pm

I have a chrome pancake type air filter fitted to my 1098 Moggie and I wonder what fellow owners think of these in comparison to the standard set up?
Any experiences would be appreciated as I find I do get an occasional misfire when accelerating, usually when the car is warm.
:grommit: I LOVE MY MOGGIES :love4:
cococola

Awards: 3
Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1) Contributions 2019 (1)

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

pancake filter advice

Postby BrianHawley » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:14 am

cococola wrote:I have a chrome pancake type air filter fitted to my 1098 Moggie and I wonder what fellow owners think of these in comparison to the standard set up?
Any experiences would be appreciated as I find I do get an occasional misfire when accelerating, usually when the car is warm.

Depends on the filter. Anything that improves air flow is going to help, although other things (timing, mixture) may need to be adjusted if the difference is extreme. Racing engines sometimes just have open trumpets. This is fine, but racing engines tend to be rebuilt fairly frequently. On a road car you also need to filter the air. Unfiltered air can wear rings and bore, causing power loss that more than negates the increase from unrestricted flow. Your misfire may be related, but I think another cause may be more likely. The main justification for a chrome pancake filter is probably that it looks cool. Do you like the look or do you prefer originality?
Brian

"Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, van wheels, vert shocks, arb etc.
BrianHawley

Awards: 2
Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

England (en)

Re: pancake filter advice

Postby cococola » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:21 am

Hi Brian I like the look but that is about it really. I did wonder if all of the engine bay hot air would have a restriction on the air filter whereas the standard one being enclosed might be better maybe.
cococola

Postby midget » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:33 am

Surely the point of pancake filters is the increased airflow? The mixture has to be reset when fitting to match this,as Brian states.
I have one, but they are very noisy compared with standard.
John
midget

Postby cococola » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:58 am

I'm sure Ll of my adjustments are good John it's just this occasional flat spot when engine is warm. Have you had any problems with yours.
cococola

Return to Ignition, Carburetion & Fuel