Won't start

Standard & electronic conversions

Won't start

Postby Luckychap » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:50 pm

I got the engine and gearbox in on the moggy today. I wired up the dizzy and got a fat spark. The car has not ran for 15 years and this is a known good engine that I have swapped for the seized one. After getting it turning over I emptied the old fuel out. The fresh fuel was pumped through and the pipe connected to the carb. Now it tries to start, it's catching, but won't fire. I checked the firing order but all fine. The float bowl was full. I pulled a plug and it was dry. I have previously dismantled the su carb and cleaned it. I wonder what it could be? What would stop fuel getting in? Any thoughts would be gratefully received. Thanks Jed
Luckychap

Great Britain (GB)

Re: Won't start

Postby murrayminor » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:02 am

If the plugs are dry fuel is not getting to the cylinders.
Either try a single shot of easy start into the intake and see if that makes it fire, if it does and then dies you have a fuel supply problem
If the car has been stood for along time old fuel can solidify inside the carb, have a look and make sure the inside of the carb is clean.
Are you happy its wired up correctly?
murrayminor

Ireland (ie) UK Lancashire (lk)

Postby Luckychap » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:29 pm

Well after stripping carb for a second time and checking the firing order for the 5th time I finally had an epiphany. The car has been stood 15 years . I disconnected the exhaust and it burst into life! The exhaust baffles just have collapsed inside and blocked it unless there is a wasp nest in it. What a conundrum!
Luckychap

Great Britain (GB)

Postby MM » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:19 pm

Congratulations on getting it to run! I've never heard of an exhaust becoming so clogged it wouldn't allow the engine to start! :shock:
Maurice, Kent.
1970 Trafalgar Blue Traveller

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... read=37056
MM

Return to Ignition, Carburetion & Fuel