locking petrol cap Wanted

Anything not covered by listed topics

locking petrol cap Wanted

Postby vigil » Thu May 09, 2019 2:57 am

Any one have the model number for a stainless or chrome locking petrol cap for a 1959 Morris minor Van that does not need an adapter. I had one from Wilmot Breeden but the key broke in the cap and could not be removed. There was no marking on the car except the name - no number to tell me the model number. If you have or know of some one with the cap i am looking for let me know.

Vigil
vigil

Re: locking petrol cap Wanted

Postby BrianHawley » Thu May 09, 2019 4:56 am

vigil wrote:Any one have the model number for a stainless or chrome locking petrol cap for a 1959 Morris minor Van that does not need an adapter. I had one from Wilmot Breeden but the key broke in the cap and could not be removed. There was no marking on the car except the name - no number to tell me the model number. If you have or know of some one with the cap i am looking for let me know.

Vigil

Can’t help on the cap, but have you tried a locksmith? I mean a real one, not a key copy shop. I did the same with a cap on my mini many years ago. A local guy got the broken bit out and made me two new keys.
Brian

"Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, van wheels, vert shocks, arb etc.
BrianHawley

Awards: 2
Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

England (en)

Re: locking petrol cap Wanted

Postby vigil » Thu May 09, 2019 5:59 am

Unfortunately i was several hundred miles from home and needed gas. The lock was in the locked position when the key broke so i had to drill out the lock to get fuel in the van. I never imagined it would be hard to find the correct cap again. Most vendors sell the funky adapter type caps. In my opinion they defeat the purpose of the locking cap. I have been told by others people they had there's stolen by someone taking the adapter loose. I am not sure how you would do that but that was there story.

Thanks for the suggestion - As you can see i already screwed that up when i drilled out the lock.

VIGIL
vigil

Return to General Mog Chat