BRAKE BLEED PROBLEM

Rebuilding, adjusting, maintaining & alternatives

BRAKE BLEED PROBLEM

Postby Rocketray » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:39 pm

I am really struggling with the brakes on my 1969 minor. I have replaced most of the braking system but cannot get a firm pedal unless I pump the pedal although it only takes one or two pumps to firm up. I have clamped all of the flexible hoses and get a good pedal I then released them one at a time. I then loose the pedal when I release the o/s (drivers) one, so I take it the problem is there but I have fitted a new flexible hose, both wheel cylinders and the brake pipe that goes from one cylinder to the other, when I bleed it up there seems to be no air in the system but I still have a poor pedal unless it is pumped. as soon as I clamp that flexi hose again I get a good pedal.
I have used a vacuum bleed system and also my wife pumping the pedal up and down and then releasing the bleed nipple with the pedal pumped up and held under pressure but nothing seems to work please help before I pull what little help I have left out.
Rocketray

United Kingdom (uk) UK Durham City (ea)

Re: BRAKE BLEED PROBLEM

Postby peteld » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:14 pm

When i got my 69 Minor, it too had a very soft brake pedal, that required pumping in order to work. I bled my brakes with the aid of a second person, and that helped a lot. just remember to top off your master cylinder after/during each brake you bleed, and in the right order, starting furthest away from the master cylinder... it may require quite a lot of pumps to get all air ut of the system

mine did not brake very well after bleeding anyway, but a recent inspection show that only 2 of 4 brake cylinders actually moved... but bleeding and topping up the master cylinder did help a lot :)
peteld

Denmark (dk)

Postby MickEssex » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:35 pm

I have had this problem in the past, I got over it buy adjusting the shoes until they lock the drum, then bleed again. this limits the amount that the pistons can move within the cylinder. once the pedal is firm readjust the shoes.
MickEssex

Awards: 9
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1) MMO Annual Award Winner (1)

Great Britain (GB) UK Essex (.m)

Postby Rocketray » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:33 pm

Thank you for the help I now have a brake pedal although I would like it with a little less travel but at least I can get the wheels back on so she can be moved Thanks again
Rocketray

United Kingdom (uk) UK Durham City (ea)

Return to Suspension, Steering & Brakes