1275 Maestro engine-any use?

Side valve, 803, 948, 1098., 1275 and Vizard mods

1275 Maestro engine-any use?

Postby Linear.audio » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:07 pm

Hi, a few years back I was going to convert a 1275 Maestro engine to fit my Moggy. Got the engine, had the flywheel bored/ re-drilled to fit, and mostly modified the alloy sandwich plate.This project is now no longer going to proceed, the question being is there any inherent value in the engine, or should I break it for the cam and head? It is a standard Maestro head ie: no super big valves, from a good running "E" plate, with 45000 on the clock.
Any thought's greatly appreciated, thanks, Pete.
Linear.audio

Great Britain (GB) UK Essex (.m)

Re: 1275 Maestro engine-any use?

Postby Panky » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:46 pm

If most of the hard work is done then I would offer it for sale as it is explaining what else needs to be done to complete the conversion. Midget and Marina engines are selling at a premium so take into account the costs of completing the conversion in what price you put on your engine.
Panky

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Postby Linear.audio » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:24 am

Thanks for that info, been out of touch with the "A" series situation over the last few years! What sort of ballpark figure is put on a Marina engine nowadays so I can get some idea of market values? Many thanks, Pete
Linear.audio

Postby midget » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:33 am

Depends on condition. Trouble is determining that. I paid £350 for an A+ and then spent £800 (machining and parts) rebuilding it to "as new" spec 3 years ago.
On the other hand,bought an ex Marina van engine for £90 and haven't touched it except painting, and Its fine.
If I bought another I would want it in a driveable vehicle to asses it beforehand. Midgets are more expensive but much easier swap.
John
midget

Postby Linear.audio » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:40 pm

This was bought from a genuine, running 45000 mile Maestro. Having taken a pause for thought, and remembering that when laid up my 1098 had rattly mains and was breathing heavily, I think I will complete the project. There are so few Maestro's left that I doubt it will find a buyer anyway :) Still not sure what BL did to get 69 BHP from that model, I believe it has the MG Metro cam, and the ports look as though they have been tweaked and tidied a bit. Some state that they only ever had the standard size valves, however the later ones with the unleaded inserts develop a few horsepower less, so I feel it may have the MG Metro sized valves. Either way, 69 BHP, with the late ribbed engine block and a breather system that works, is a good argument for pursuing the job!
Linear.audio

Postby Panky » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:19 am

I agree. Once it's gone it's gone, a nice little project to see through to completion.
Panky

Return to Engine