engine malfunction

Side valve, 803, 948, 1098., 1275 and Vizard mods

engine malfunction

Postby peteld » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:42 pm

Hi everyone :)

I am the new owner of a 1969 Morris Minor 1000.

prior to buying the car, i took it for at testdrive, everything was fine and it drove fine. One evening i had trouble starting the car, but eventually got it running, took it for a very short drive around the block. next start up no problems and a longer drive with no problems.

Then i wanted to start the car the other day, and it wouldnt, trying several times and drained the battery in the proces... it did start for a few seconds, but then coughing to a stop. Also the exaust backfired in a loud bang once or twice.
this morning i tried to start up again, and althoug easier, it runs for a few seconds, then goes out. when running there is no throttle response, it just idles/coughs. sparkplugs looks black, and soaking in fuel, so i know the fuel supply is ok. but the car dosent run as intended, cant evenrev up the engine.

it also has thick mayonaise like substance in the rocker cover, havent pullet it off yet.

any gues whats wrong? and/or where to start?
peteld

Denmark (dk)

Re: engine malfunction

Postby Panky » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:30 pm

Hi and welcome along :)
First thing to check is the connections on the dizzy, if one is making an intermittent contact then that could be the problem. If that's OK then have a look at the points - is the gap OK? are the pitted and burnt? Check each plug in turn, take them all out and fit one at a time to a HT lead make sure its contacting the engine block or head somewhere and spin the engine over and check that are sparking. If all seems OK then we'll look at other things. Be patient and meticulous when checking so you don't miss anything.
Panky

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Postby murrayminor » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:27 pm

It could be a number of things but backfiring could mean the timing has slipped.
First make sure you have enough fuel (from the wet plugs it sounds like enough fuel is getting through)
Check the actual distributor is not loose so it cannot turn on its own.
I would put a mark on the distributor and a corosponding mark on the engine so if it does move you can put it back to its original position.
Check the plugs and leads they are cheap to replace if yours look old.
Check your timing if the distributor was loose, there are many ways to check the timing but you have to check number 1 cylinder is at top dead centre before anything.
Once the engine is at top dead centre then ensure the distributor rotor is pointing to number 1 spark plug lead, if it is not then turn the engine over by hand (battery disconnected) until you find TDC and the rotor is pointing to number 1 spark plug lead.
You can now tighten the distributor clamp.
Once the static timing has been completed you can then set about timing the engine properly with a timing light or strobe light.
Please keep us informed of your progress and good luck.
murrayminor

Ireland (ie) UK Lancashire (lk)

Postby peteld » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:45 pm

Thanks for the introduction :)

I have today replaced the spark plugs, and tried to start the engine... after several attempts the engine reved up like crazy, and then stalled... after a few more stars, the car just idles perfect and altså drove like it should :)
i suspect the tank had condensation in it, as it was almost empty the other day, and since new fuel has seed to cured the problem :)

however.... the ignition light stays on when the engine runs, and its becomes brighter when the engine revs altso increases.. any suggestions?
peteld

Denmark (dk)

Postby Panky » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:36 pm

That's great, nice easy fix.
Is it still on a dynamo? If so clean the contacts in the regulator box and see if that cures the ignition light problem.
Panky

Postby Plin » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:45 pm

Sorry I can't offer any help with your query but just wanted to say :D welcome to the forum!
Plin

Awards: 11
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1) Contributions 2019 (1) MMO Annual Award 2016 (1)
MMO Top Tester (1)

Postby peteld » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:58 pm

I am pretty sure the old dynamo has been replaced by an alternator, mounted on thr right side (car direction) on the engine?
sorry for my low basic knowledge about the mechanics, but just recently bought it :)
peteld

Denmark (dk)

Postby Panky » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:40 pm

No problem we're her to help if we can, hopefully it's nor a duff alternator. There should be a plug with wires attached in the back of the alternator - usually held in place with a wire clip. Push the clip to one side and pull the plug out then clean the contacts on the plug and alternator as best you can with sand paper, screwdriver blade - whatever will do the job. Also check the fan belt is tight and not slipping.
Panky

Postby peteld » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:05 pm

Tried to start up the engine again today, and just as the other day it does turn over, engine goes on, but not at a real idle... then goes out in a coughing way.
kept trying, and no improvement, at a few occations the engine reved up without me pushing the accelerator, then when revs dropped it comes to a stand still.
but mostly the car starts, but doesnt seem til go idle, just coughing and shaking before the engine goes out.

if the fan belt had been slipping due to loss of tightness, would it be as simple as to thigten it? or would it require a more excessive repair/adjustment?
peteld

Denmark (dk)

Postby Panky » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:05 pm

Yes easy to do, slacken the bots holding the alternator and adjusting bracket, pull the alternator until the belt is tight then tighten the bolts again.
Check the oil level in the carburetter dash pot and if it's low add a little engine oil (only takes a couple teaspoons full) It's possible that could be the cause of the poor starting.
Panky

Postby peteld » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:27 am

The fan belt seems okay, No more slack than a centimeter or two... And The carburetor dash is Nice and filled... Would have uploaded a video showing The problem, but The file is too big
peteld

Denmark (dk)

Postby peteld » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:33 am

SOLVED :D

it seems to be the capacitor, changed it to a spare, and it now runs perfect :D
peteld

Denmark (dk)

Postby Panky » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:30 am

Excellent, well done for finding the fault :D
Panky

Postby peteld » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:14 pm

thanks :) I am quite pleased, although there seems to be a problem more :/
the ignition light stays on, and gets brighter when the engine is reved up.... the car has been fitted with an alternator, and i think the regulatorbox has been removed as well... could it be wrong wirering to the fusebox thats been added?
the charge at the battery is approximately 12v with engine off, and 16-17 when the engine running...
peteld

Denmark (dk)

Postby Panky » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:32 pm

16/17v is a bit high, normally around 14v. It does sound like an alternator fault, has this just developed of is it an on going issue.
Panky

Next

Return to Engine