old Paint Codes to Modern formula

Finishing, Windows, Hoods & Trav wood etc

old Paint Codes to Modern formula

Postby frosty » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:23 am

Hello, I hope there is someone on here that is either in the trade or knows their paint.

I saw this colour on the US forum I understand ( read think) it is: Iris Blue

Does a member actually have this colour on their car who can confirm.

Next question ~ is there a 'today's' paint formula for it?

Mfg. Code : BU12
Lucite code: 8184L
Dulux : 25885

Iris Blue paint code.jpg

Iris Blue paint code.1.jpg
We're friendly ~ have a look see
http://www.morrisdownunder.com/forum/index.php
frosty

Awards: 1
Contributions 2011 (1)

Australia (au) AUS Queensland (i.)

Iris Blue was an MG colour - used on the MGA mostly. It was never available as a standard colour on the Minor. From the picture, I would guess the car is Smoke Grey. Here in the UK, all these old colours are available with modern mixing formulas from many sources. Nexa Autocolour (among others) who took over from ICI in car refinishing paint supplies can supply these colours through their trade outlets.
old english white

Re: old Paint Codes to Modern formula

Postby frosty » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:48 am

thanks OEW, problem is I am in Australia ;)
frosty

Contributions 2011 (1)

Postby don58van » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:22 am

Hi Frosty

Somewhere have a set of BMC colour chips (for the UK). It has the colour formula on the back of each chip. I haven't had any luck today but I'll keep looking.
I'm not so sure that the sample car is Smoke Grey. My Traveller (with original paintwork) is that colour and it doesn't look as sky blue as that one.
To me, it looks like the blue that was used for Police panda cars (Bermuda Blue??? ).

Don
don58van

Don, the car pictured might have been repainted at some time of course but Smoke Grey is the only light blue(ish) colour option for that period. Bermuda Blue was never offered on civilian Minor saloons or Minor convertibles in any case.
I also have the original mixing formulas used but these are useless today as the base colours used for mixing are no longer the same ;)
old english white

Postby Sleeper » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:02 am

Sleeper

Great Britain (GB)

The problem is, that when you are looking at reprints of reprints of reprints of something that wasn't actually a sample of car paint in the first place and on a random computer screen, the best you can possibly hope for is a very rough approximation. I have several photographs of my own car taken on different occasions in different lighting conditions with different cameras and in each photo the car looks a different colour!
Over the years BMC had a huge range of colours but only a small number of them were offered on each model of car in a certain period. This is how we know that a Morris Minor 1000 of that age in a light blue shade will have been Smoke Grey. Smoke Grey was introduced around 1959 and continued to be offered until the end of production. Just to complicate things, there are of course as many variations of "Smoke Grey" as there are paint manufacturers!
old english white

Postby frosty » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:50 am

Thanks fella's, I like the colour on the sample car above, so any suggestions from you that you have seen and/or know a colour similiar, ( with a modern formula for same) I would appreciate your comment. If I can get a nice colour formula, I will get it mixed out here ( Australia) and do a test spray.

It will be for ute or van .

I am not concerned that the colour will not be year specific ... just want a bloody nice colour ! 8)

over to you for help :bom:

cheers

frosty
frosty

Contributions 2011 (1)

Return to Body, Paint, Glass & Wood Work