morris minor steering rack noise

Rebuilding, adjusting, maintaining & alternatives

morris minor steering rack noise

Postby RustyOne » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:23 am

hi there,
my steering rack makes a harsh noise if I turn the wheels , side to side, whilst on the hoist,
Is this normal, because it is not under load and free to turn at a speed faster than when driving on the road?
see the Flickr link below.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmoPwWaA

Peter
RustyOne
New Poster

Australia (au)

Re: morris minor steering rack noise

Postby Rick1963 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:02 pm

Sounds like it is dry to me, the nipple to fill it full of EP90 is under the front passenger side toe board, use a grease gun full of EP90 to refill. If the gaiters are shot then this is why.
Some prefer to use grease instead of oil as it won't run out of the gaiters but you may find it difficult to get it along the whole of the rack if it's completely dry.
Rick1963

Great Britain (GB)

Postby RustyOne » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:26 pm

Rick1963 wrote:Sounds like it is dry to me, the nipple to fill it full of EP90 is under the front passenger side toe board, use a grease gun full of EP90 to refill. If the gaiters are shot then this is why.
Some prefer to use grease instead of oil as it won't run out of the gaiters but you may find it difficult to get it along the whole of the rack if it's completely dry.

thank you for your reply,
When I reassembled the rack, I coated the teeth with lots of grease, I have since been advised that pumping in "Fluid Grease", is better than straight oil , as it will eventually leak out via the rubber boots.

I cannot reason why the design of the unit placed the nipple at the Opposite end of the rack, as far away from the working end with the teeth? but then that BMC engineering for you of the 60's...... :?

Has anyone managed to install a grease nipple over the teeth end of the rack, to me that seems the most obvious modification, to ensure proper lubrication! :idea:
Peter
RustyOne
New Poster

Australia (au)

Postby Rick1963 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:04 am

I seem to remember (and I think it was Phil the Hill) added a M6 grease nipple to the opposite end of the rack. Easy enough to do but you would need to ensure no swarf contanimated the rack.

When filled with the lubricant of your choice and if the noise is still there then you may need to adjust the damper pad shim, item 77 here.
https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-m ... minor.html
The method of adjusting the shims is detailed in the Haynes manual and section J5 of the workshop manual.
Rick1963

Great Britain (GB)

Return to Suspension, Steering & Brakes