Brake Pedal Bush

Rebuilding, adjusting, maintaining & alternatives

Brake Pedal Bush

Postby Alchemist » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:42 pm

Hi Guys, I had a bit of play in the clutch pedal and was told that it could be wear in the pedal shaft or brake pedal bushes. I have successfully removed the pedal shaft aand found that this needs to be replaced anyway as somebody in the past has damaged the thread that holds the castellated nut, however I am not sure how to replace the bushes in the brake pedal. If I remove the brake pedal do they just drop out or do they need to be driven into place using a hammer and drift? Can't find any information anywhere not even the useful Youtube. Thanks in advance
"In twenty years from now it will be the things that you didn't do that you will regret the most" Mark Twain.
Alchemist

England (en) UK Kent (.i)

Re: Brake Pedal Bush

Postby et_in_black » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:46 pm

Hi. Assuming we are talking about a standard setup, I'm not sure why the brake pedal bushes would have any impact? The clutch pedal shaft is supported by bushes in the chassis, and the brake pedal only rotates on the clutch pedal shaft. Maybe you can just temporarily replace the clutch pedal and shaft, without the brake pedal on it, and then wiggle it around to see where the play is. Is the free play in the pedal shaft? Or elsewhere in the overall clutch linkage mechanism?
et_in_black

Awards: 1
Contributions 2013 (1)

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Re: Brake Pedal Bush

Postby Alchemist » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:29 pm

Hi Thanks for getting back to me. The play appears to be in the shaft between the brake pedal and crossmember. I would add at this point that when I removed the shaft there was no castellated nut but packed out with washers to the split pin hole so this may well have been the reason for the movement. I checked the parts diagram on Moss's website and it appears that the only two bushes are either side of the brake pedal (presumably within the tube that accepts the clutch pedal shaft, amd as I was replacing the shaft anyway felt that this would be an ideal time to replace the bushes to make sure the job was done properly, as I did not want the "faff" of undoing all of those floor bolts again...lol
"In twenty years from now it will be the things that you didn't do that you will regret the most" Mark Twain.
Alchemist

England (en) UK Kent (.i)

Return to Suspension, Steering & Brakes