Copper float

Standard & electronic conversions

Copper float

Postby Ian W » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:47 pm

Hi
I tried starting my traveller yesterday to get it off the trailer and into my garage but discovered fuel coming from the hole in the top of the float chamber. The cars was standing for 8 years when I bought it, after a few new parts I managed to get the motor running since then it's sat at the previous owners until I picked it up yesterday, on taking the cover of the float chamber the copper float was sat in the bottom of the chamber full of petrol. I removed the float and have been looking for a new one but the only only ones I can find have a hole in the top, mine is a fully sealed unit with no holes ( apart from the one letting in the fuel).
Anyone able to id what I have and if they are still available, looking at the knacked one it looks as if it did have a hole but has been braised closed.
Regards
Ian
Ian W

England (en)

Re: Copper float

Postby Rick1963 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:41 pm

Remove the float and drain the fuel out of the float, solder the hole and it will be good as new :D the floats are brass so if you clean the area of the hole and use separate flux and flux solder it will be good as new.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KXT3iwtOAm8
Rick1963

Great Britain (GB)

Postby Ian W » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:29 pm

Hi Rick
Thanks for the advice and the link to the web site looks fairly straight forward, let you know how I got on when I get a chance to sort it
Regards
Ian
Ian W

England (en)

Postby Ian W » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:36 pm

Hi Rick
Thanks for the advice, the repaired float is now fitted and the motor is running fine. The traveller is now in the garage ready for the strip down before going for the welding to be started.
Many thanks
Ian
Ian W

England (en)

Postby Rick1963 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:00 pm

Well done!!!!
Rick1963

Great Britain (GB)

Return to Ignition, Carburetion & Fuel