Starter Problems, running but not engaging to engin?

Standard & electronic conversions
I've got a bit of an odd starter problem so any help would be usefull.

Battery was a bit low so I took it out and charged it, put it back, everythings good, starts, runs, the works.

Next day the car wouldn't start, starter turning madly but not engaging; its probably just got stuck and cant engage to the crank shaft, a little push to turn the engin over should sort it-No

Still wont engage unless I add another battery; so battery must be flat-No, I had it on a 6amp 12v charger for 2 days, the volt meter reads 12.5 so it should be fine but still wont work.

Tried it without the main battery, just the add on 12v battery booster - No start.

So it engages and starts fine with 2 12v batteries but not 1, The only thing thats been done is to undo the battery to charge it, and it started fine the first time, THEN stoped working?

So thoughts? I'll check the terminals tommorow, but they've been off and on several times by now and as I said it started after the first tinker.

P.S. Please don't surgest the starting handle, it won't fit because the radiator/engin mounting brakects mean it cant engage to the crank shaft either :(
Image Image
wren1710

Awards: 2
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

Great Britain (GB)

wren1710 wrote:I've got a bit of an odd starter problem so any help would be usefull.

Battery was a bit low so I took it out and charged it, put it back, everythings good, starts, runs, the works.

Next day the car wouldn't start, starter turning madly but not engaging; its probably just got stuck and cant engage to the crank shaft, a little push to turn the engin over should sort it-No

Still wont engage unless I add another battery; so battery must be flat-No, I had it on a 6amp 12v charger for 2 days, the volt meter reads 12.5 so it should be fine but still wont work.

Tried it without the main battery, just the add on 12v battery booster - No start.

So it engages and starts fine with 2 12v batteries but not 1, The only thing thats been done is to undo the battery to charge it, and it started fine the first time, THEN stoped working?

So thoughts? I'll check the terminals tommorow, but they've been off and on several times by now and as I said it started after the first tinker.

P.S. Please don't surgest the starting handle, it won't fit because the radiator/engin mounting brakects mean it cant engage to the crank shaft either :(

I think for a start I would clean the bendix gear. Symptoms don’t point exactly to that, but it couldn’t hurt and it’s one thing ticked off.
Brian

"Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, van wheels, vert shocks, arb etc.
BrianHawley

Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

England (en)

Sorted: Duff battery, 12v but not enough amps :oops:

Suppose it could have been worse ( :|like the bendix gear) Thanks anyway.
Image Image
wren1710

Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

Great Britain (GB)

wren1710 wrote:Sorted: Duff battery, 12v but not enough amps :oops:

Suppose it could have been worse ( :|like the bendix gear) Thanks anyway.

Cool!
Brian

"Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, van wheels, vert shocks, arb etc.
BrianHawley

Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

England (en)

Return to Ignition, Carburetion & Fuel