Brake component replacement

Rebuilding, adjusting, maintaining & alternatives

Brake component replacement

Postby murrayminor » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:35 am

Hi
The brakes on Gracie my 65 2 door are shot at.
So I'm in the process of repacking the major components, thus far I have all the cylinders,brake shoes and flexible pipes.
As the brakes were in such dangerous condition I though a major overhaul was required.
I seem to understand how it all goes back together apart from one or two points.

On stripping the shoes from the back plate I noticed there wasn't any retaining clip, you know the type that hold the shoes to the back plate, is this normal?
I have seen the clips or springs advertised for sale so I assume they should be fitted or was this for certain models?

Secondly as I'm going to the trouble of renewing the components should I replace the master cylinder or leave it alone?
How would I check if the master cylinder was leaking?

Finally (for now) there is a larger bore master cylinder available is this a worthwhile modification if I have to replace the master cylinder?

Thanks

Dermot.
murrayminor

Ireland (ie) UK Lancashire (lk)

Re: Brake component replacement

Postby emjay » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:05 pm

There are those who don't install the shoe retaining springs and don't report any issues. If you do leave them out, make sure the return springs are mounted on the back side to keep the shoes against the backing plate. Perhaps the retaining springs help keep the shoes centered or may just assist in removing the drum. I don't think it's clear why the springs are there but other cars have them as well and some don't.

If the master cylinder has been sitting a while, you should consider replace/repairing it. Stroking it in new (rough) areas of the cylinder can damage the seals and you'll be in there soon, but most likely if the fluid is old, there is a rust pit below the ports to the reservoir causing leaks into the frame rail once you start using it. The seven inch brake cars have a 7/8 inch bore instead of 13/16 but bear in mind that does shorten the stroke and decreases fluid pressure which is probably not what you are seeking.
emjay

Postby murrayminor » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:36 pm

Well I built the brakes up and none of the shoes had retaining clips so I've gone without and placed the springs behind the shoes.
I also decided to replace the master cylinder, glad I did as there was a substantial leak under the cylinder.
What a job getting it out, glad I don't have to do it every week.
I have packed the tools away for the day as I'm on night shift tonight so will try get a couple of hours in this week at some point.
murrayminor

Postby ruairidh » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:22 pm

Well done hope it solves the problem.
Be all you can be
ruairidh

Awards: 3
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) MMO Annual Award 2018 (1)

Scotland (sf) UK Northern Ireland (ek)

Postby murrayminor » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:57 pm

ruairidh wrote:Well done hope it solves the problem.

I hope so too, it cannot be much worse as three of the four drums were soaked in fluid.
It goes to show that those people who do not have regular checks such as an MOT would only find out these issues after it was too late.
What a scary thought.
murrayminor

Postby murrayminor » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:23 am

well what a pain it is to bleed the Morris Minor braking system.
I cannot get a pedal, I have bled it using the pump the pedal method, eezibleed kit and now considering using a mates vacuum kit.
Once I have it bled the pedal is soft but when pumped once I get a pedal which goes away again.
I'm assuming there is still air in the system, I have checked for leaks but cannot find any anywhere.
Any tips on bleeding the bleeding system?

Cheers

Dermot.
murrayminor

Postby Rick1963 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:54 pm

This is my method of bleeding the brakes.
First make sure they are adjusted correctly, after a complete brake strip down I find it's best to start at the front near side.
Then go around and bleed them all by pumping the pedal till it is firm and an assistant opens the bleed nipple till the pedal hits the floor and close the nipple. Do this on each corner until there is no air bubbles in the fluid you bleed. Then it should be ok.
Rick1963

Great Britain (GB)

Postby murrayminor » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:44 am

Rick1963 wrote:This is my method of bleeding the brakes.
First make sure they are adjusted correctly, after a complete brake strip down I find it's best to start at the front near side.
Then go around and bleed them all by pumping the pedal till it is firm and an assistant opens the bleed nipple till the pedal hits the floor and close the nipple. Do this on each corner until there is no air bubbles in the fluid you bleed. Then it should be ok.

Rick

Thanks for that, I will try your method despite having bled the brakes three times already.
murrayminor

Postby plastic orange » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:01 pm

Clamp the rear flexi and see if pressure holds. If it does, the problem is at the rear. If not, the problem is at the front, so clamp each flexi in turn to track down where the problem is. This assumes that the master is ok. To test this, clamp them all.

PO
Undefeated best Orange Hawaiian award Pateley Bridge 5 years in a row.
plastic orange

Awards: 10
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1) Contributions 2019 (1) Members Choice Award (1)

Scotland (sf) UK Scotland (.j)

Return to Suspension, Steering & Brakes