HIF44 carb querie.

Standard & electronic conversions
MogDJ

HIF44 carb querie.

Post by MogDJ »

Hi guys,
Took my Pick up out for its first road run yesterday and I was very pleased with the result after quite a long rebuild time. The main issue I noticed was its fuel consumption. I have a 1275 engine from a Marina in it with standard Moggy gearbox and transmission, a HIF44 carb that came off a 1275 Mini, with a K&N filter. Do you think that this carb is too big for this engine, and before I purchase an overhaul kit for it, would I be better looking for a standard 11/2” SU carb for it.
I have tried to post a picture of the finished Pick up, but failed, think I need my toddler grand child to show me how to do it haha.
Any advice or recommendations greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Mecanglais
Formally known as chesney
France

Contribution Stars

Re: HIF44 carb querie.

Post by Mecanglais »

The HIF44 should be spot on for a 1275.
A Marina 1275 had a HS4 as standard, so will probably need re-jetting to suit, and overhauling wouldn't go amiss as you say. BDL sticks in my mind as a standard needle for a 1275 but happy to be corrected.
Assume the dashpot is free to move in the carburettor?

MM
United Kingdom

Post by MM »

Yes, the HIF 44 is the preferred choice for a 1275. BDL is an MG Metro needle, which should suit it well.

Ensure the dashpot is filled up to the required level with suitable oil (engine oil is fine).

Excessive fuel consumption may be down to the mixture being set too rich - remove a spark plug or two after a run and they should be a rich-tea biscuit/tan colour. Adjust the mixture screw until it's about right; clockwise to richen the mixture, anti-clockwise to weaken it.

These threads may be of interest:
http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/to ... djustment/

https://www.mgexp.com/forum/mgb-and-gt- ... ng.802970/

Maurice, Kent.
1970 Trafalgar Blue Traveller

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... read=37056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Post by Custard »

If the plugs aren't the correct colour go for the easiest and cheapest options first.

Do the usual checks to make sure the choke is coming off first also how thin is the air filter. Some thin ones don't breathe as well as they might. Minis didn't have much choice due to space, but in the Minor you have space to have a deeper one. If your not in a very dusty area you could always repeat the same run without the air filter.

Also if you haven't done a lot of miles how are you measuring the fuel consumption, the fuel gauge isn't good enough and your figures will be out if there are any leaks.

Which include sloshing out the cap on corners, leaking pipe between pump and carb, and the hidden one dodgy float valve so will run rich with no obvious leak.

Sean.

MogDJ

Post by MogDJ »

Hi guys,
Many thanks for the advice and info, I’ve now ordered a rebuild kit for the carb and will set about overhauling it. Another question though, how can you identify which needle is fitted. The history of the carb is unknown apart from that we took it off a 1275 mini engine.
Many thanks again.
Dave.

Mecanglais
Formally known as chesney
France

Contribution Stars

Post by Mecanglais »

Take the needle out, it should be marked along the flat base at the top.

MogDJ

Post by MogDJ »

Well got the carb rebuild kit today, carb stripped down, cleaned and rebuilt ready for fitting back in the pick up tomorrow. I checked what needle is fitted and it’s a BFY. Anyone know if it’s going to perform ok, or do I need to change it for a different one.
There was a lot of wear on various components and a lot of crud inside it, so hopefully a worthwhile excercise! We’ll see if it runs tomorrow!
Any advice gratefully received.

Dave.

MM
United Kingdom

Post by MM »

According to MiniMania, a BFY is for: 1275cc, HIF44, Standard Rover Cooper setup.

Also: 1.3 Pre-injected Cooper unleaded (basically MG Metro spec engine).

So, it sounds fine for your engine. Good luck with it...

Maurice, Kent.

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... read=37056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MogDJ

Post by MogDJ »

Well I refitted the carb today and after a few adjustments it runs really well, to aanswer previous questions, there are no leaks, the K&N is 3” thick, the timing is bob on and all the plugs are cleaned and gapped correctly.
I set the mixture with a Colourtune kit and it showed the right colour of combustion, so the issue I have is that the engine idles too fast, even with the screw fully backed off, and it seems to be running as if the choke is partially on, which it isn’t.
On a test run, it ran like a dream and compared to last time, on the same run, the fuel gauge did not move! So I think it’s a big improvement.
I think my problem is with the choke assembly, and the seals inside it maybe. The bush had two o rings in it when I stripped it down but only one replacement in the kit, so I changed the front end one, but it seemed loose in the bore. After the run, I removed this assembly and swapped the o ring for the original one, refitted it, and no change.
I have noticed that there is about 1mm end float in the whole assembly, anyone know if this is normal? Have I missed anything in assembling this, the information about it is vague to say the least.
To be honest, I’m not sure what to look at next, any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Many thanks
Dave.

MM
United Kingdom

Post by MM »

Good to hear that you've seen an improvement, at least. There are numerous HIF rebuild videos on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... or+rebuild+

Maurice, Kent.

PoolGuy
England

Post by PoolGuy »

MogDJ wrote:
4 months ago
so the issue I have is that the engine idles too fast, even with the screw fully backed off,
That generally points to an air leak, throttle shaft wear, poorly sealed gaskets. Spraying brake cleaner close to the offending area will result in the revs changing and help you locate the problem.