My '58 Van

Follow inspiring projects as they develop then show them off !
et_in_black
United Kingdom

Contribution Stars

Re: I have been shopping!

Post by et_in_black »

What a stunning looking van ... enjoy! :)

mogimad

Contribution Stars

The Cliff Lloyd Award

Re: I have been shopping!

Post by mogimad »

Love it Mick....
Enjoy..

D.

In My Defence.........I Was Left Unsupervised.....

MickEssex
Great Britain

Contribution Stars

MMO Annual Award

Members Choice Award

Re: My '58 Van

Post by MickEssex »

I thought it about time I put this somewhere more permanent, but as time goes on I may have to move it to the Modified section :roll: but we'll see how things progress.

As yet I don't have a name for the van, it may get one at some point or it may not be depending what vibes I get from the van.

First thing on the agenda for this coming weekend is getting shot of the 7" front drums and fitting a Ford based disk kit and servo. I will also be adding some bigger mirrors as rear visibility is almost non-existent as is. I also have a reversing camera to go on the van.

Pics etc to follow as I progress.

Onward and upwards!

MickEssex
Great Britain

Contribution Stars

MMO Annual Award

Members Choice Award

Post by MickEssex »

I decided to go for VW Beetle mirrors, I was debating about the VW T2 van mirrors but thought they may look a little big on the Minor.

Before
mirror original.jpg
Original Mirror
mirror original.jpg (184.19 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
Original Mirror
Original Mirror
After
mirror2.jpg
mirror2.jpg (256.65 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
mirror2.jpg
mirror1.jpg
mirror1.jpg (399.03 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
mirror1.jpg
mirror3.jpg
mirror3.jpg (297.7 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
mirror3.jpg
mirror4.jpg
mirror4.jpg (262.26 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
mirror4.jpg
It was a bit of a challenge fitting the M16 nuts inside the little corner cappings, but I did it. The only problem was the holes that were drilled for the original round mirrors were to low down on the capping to just enlarge so I had to redrill them more central so the nut sat within the frame. I now have elongated holes. :(
If anyone has some stainless cappings in good condition laying around, I can give them a good home.

Visibility is much better as I can now see behind me on the left side, they also fold in out of harms way when parked or if they get knocked. :D

Mecanglais
Formally known as chesney
France

Contribution Stars

Post by Mecanglais »

Hi Mick,
Looking good!
Until you've sat in one you cannot comprehend how tricky it is reversing a Morris van!

I have a pair of stainless cappings (somewhere). PM me?

MickEssex
Great Britain

Contribution Stars

MMO Annual Award

Members Choice Award

Post by MickEssex »

I have been fitting a new disk brake conversion on my van including servo and remote reservoir, Just going round bleeding the system to finish off this afternoon and the bleed nipple on one of the rears decides to sheer off. :roll: Still got a nice firm pedal even with only bleeding 3 corners. I was hoping to take it for a run tomorrow as I haven't really driven it since collecting it but now got to wait until the new parts arrive. :(

Here are a couple of pics.
20190601_104140.jpg
20190601_104140.jpg (267.4 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
20190601_104140.jpg
20190601_180729.jpg
20190601_180729.jpg (210.51 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
20190601_180729.jpg
20190601_193912.jpg
20190601_193912.jpg (259.58 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
20190601_193912.jpg
20190601_193924.jpg
20190601_193924.jpg (266.22 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
20190601_193924.jpg

frosty
Australia

Contribution Stars

Post by frosty »

Nice looking kit.
I like the vent slots in the backing plate ! :)

who's kit?

We're friendly ~ have a look see
http://www.morrisdownunder.com/forum/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PoolGuy
England

Post by PoolGuy »

Nice, I fitted the same kit (ESM) last week, excellent instructions and very simple to fit.

Mick, how do you find the rearward vision now?

MickEssex
Great Britain

Contribution Stars

MMO Annual Award

Members Choice Award

Post by MickEssex »

Yes it is the ESM Ford based kit which comes with new steel hubs, it is extremely easy to fit.

Since fitting the mirrors I haven't driven it, but just sitting in the drivers seat I can see much more behind me. Once I get the bleed nipple sorted during the week I'll take it for a drive and report back on the brakes and the rear vision. I'm also fitting a reverse camera so the should make reversing much less scary. :)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

PoolGuy
England

Post by PoolGuy »

I look forward to hearing how it goes, it sounds like we’re on a similar journey with our vans.

Mecanglais
France

Contribution Stars

Post by Mecanglais »

Did the cappings reach you ok Mick?

Those disks are a very worthwhile upgrade, and a very well thought out kit.

MickEssex
Great Britain

Contribution Stars

MMO Annual Award

Members Choice Award

Post by MickEssex »

Hi Jack, yes they came sorry I meant to let you know, I fitted one of them today with the new mirror attached, i'll replace the other one evening during the week if I get the time.

MickEssex
Great Britain

Contribution Stars

MMO Annual Award

Members Choice Award

Post by MickEssex »

My van came with a tow bar fitted but no electric for the trailer lights. Normally this would be simple to wire up but being the van is a '58 I have an issue. How do I wire the indicator wires so that the indicators on the trailer flash and not the brake lights as they do on the van?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Mecanglais
France

Contribution Stars

Post by Mecanglais »

Hi Mick,
The most straight forward way I have found to add towbar electrics is to use a towing relay.
Just search for 'towing relay' on eBay, they are around £20.
All you have to do is run a new live, something reasonably heavy, maybe 15 amp wire, fused of course, to the towing relay which is small enough to be mounted near the towing electrics out of sight.
Then you simply pick a feed from each light at the back (sidelights/brake lights and so on), these go into the relay, you run wires from the relay to the trailer socket and it uses no extra demand on the existing wiring, so no messing about with the flashers.

Also has a handy buzzer (and, if you can be bothered to run a wire for it) a facility for a bulb, to let you know when you're indicating right or left with the trailer on. I had mine on the 'spare' light on the speedo in the Traveller.

Mecanglais
France

Contribution Stars

Post by Mecanglais »

Sorry, see what you mean.

I'm not sure that you can, the only way I think you could do it is to use a towing relay as above, run two wires up to DB10 relay box on the drivers inner wing, and work out which of the 8 terminals works with the left hand flasher and which works with the right, and add wires accordingly. I can't remember which wire does which on those, the manual will probably help.

You might just have to live with the fact that when the trailer is turning left/right, the brake light will flash left/right, unless you run another wire directly from the green/purple stripe wire on the brake light switch to the rear as well?