Ignition light

Standard & electronic conversions

Ignition light

Postby Laserquartz » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:58 pm

Help please. I've got a 68 traveller back on the road after a decade. The one issue I can't fathom is that the ignition light remains on all the time the engine is running. I know the battery is on the way out as I have to keep charging it, but will this be the problem? I've checked the voltage across the distributor (18v) and across the battery at idle (12.5v). I've checked every connection I can see and given everything a dose of WD40. Any ideas appreciated?
Thanks
Laserquartz

United Kingdom (uk)

Re: Ignition light

Postby Panky » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:36 pm

One thing to check is if you've for the oil and ignition light connections mixed up in the engine bay. Have you by any chance fitted LEDs to the das lights? If you've replaced the ignition light with one then it won't allow the alternator to 'kick in' as it were. apart from that the alternator could be faulty.
If you're still running a dynamo then have you got the battery connections on the right way round if it's positive earth? If that's OK check the contacts in the regulator box.
Panky

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Postby Laserquartz » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:29 pm

Panky, thank you for your suggestions. Still using a dynamo and to my knowledge positive earthed. How can I check to ensure the car is positive earthed? I dare not reverse the battery for fear of causing some unknown damage - my knowledge of car electicals is limited, to say the least.
Laserquartz

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby Panky » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:27 pm

As long as the battery positive pole is connected to the body connection the it will be fine..... as long as it hasn't been swapped to negative earth. Is the battery the same way round as it always has been?
It's very simple to change to negative earth if you want too, won't get round you issue though.
Panky

Postby Laserquartz » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:07 pm

Panky, I'm very grateful to you! A fine polish of the voltage regulator contacts and sure enough, the ignition light is now not illuminated after starting the engine. I'm confident that the car is positive earted and as it has no radio or other modern ancilliaries, I'll leave it well alone. Thanks once again.
Laserquartz

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby Panky » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:55 pm

Excellent, glad it was a simple fix :D
Panky

Return to Ignition, Carburetion & Fuel