non clicking fuel pump

Standard & electronic conversions

non clicking fuel pump

Postby snoopy1972 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:32 pm

I have a sep 1970 morris minor, which i have owned for 6 months. i have noticed when i turn the ign on the fuel pump doesn't make a ticking noise, whereas before it always did. i started lucy up the other day, bit of choke and she fired into life, while she was idling with the choke, all of a sudden it just cut out. restarted fine, then on way home pushed choke in once engine warm, it hesitated slightly on a hill, but after that it behaved ok. is my fuel pump on its way out? a new electric one is £105 so want to make sure before i splash out. cheers guys and gals! :lol:
snoopy1972

England (en) UK Devon (dz)

Re: non clicking fuel pump

Postby emjay » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:35 pm

If the solenoid is still good, the pump is serviceable. The first step is to clean the points or replace if badly pitted. Re-adjusting the diaphragm and the point gaps can help, but if the diaphragm is old and stiff, a replacement would be in order. Also check that now of the wires are broken at the connection points.
emjay

Postby snoopy1972 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:17 pm

hi emjay. thanks for the response. do u happen to know wot the gap is on the points inside the fuel pump please? is the same kinda set up for adjusting like on the distributor?
snoopy1972

Postby emjay » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:23 am

The points need a certain amount of clearance to be able to complete the stroke or roll over operation so that the points open quickly and close properly. Most manuals have this information and when you obtain replacement points, instructions are included. There should be a 0.030in gap between the body and the inner roller with the points at rest (closed). The other one is the distance between the plastic point frame and the tip of the contact blade. ( I don't have the number at this time) These should be set before the diaphragm is assembled and the adjustment is made by bending brass tabs. The goal is to allow the spring to push the fuel out until the points make contact which need to stay in contact until the diaphragm pulls in an adequate amount of fuel at which time the points roll over and break the circuit. The gaps will affect the amount of fuel that is pump on each stroke but can also prevent the pump from functioning.
emjay

Postby snoopy1972 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:37 pm

sounds easier to just replace the whole pump?
snoopy1972

Postby emjay » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:49 pm

Sure a new one is easy but more expensive. Assuming the new pump is good to go out of the box, it doesn't stay new, so learning the rebuild process or adjustments may be useful in the future. May also help you get home someday.
emjay

Return to Ignition, Carburetion & Fuel