Brakes

Common upgrades - A-Series mods, brakes,wheels, handling, interior.

Brakes

Postby Corn22 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:02 am

I know this has been covered before but can't quite find the answers I am looking for. Anyway I am going to fit a disc brake kit and servo to my traveller. I had a servo fitted to my old van but want to do both on the traveller as It will make my wife want to drive it more. Now looking at the kits there seems to be a Marina based one or a vented ford one.
Now I am not planning on making the engine anymore than an 1098 as I'm not a fast driver so I am thinking of going with the Marina one.
Can anyone tell me the advantage or disadvantage between the two?

Finally when fitting a servo should it be connected to just do the front discs or to do the rear drums as well?

Thanks
Corn22

Re: Brakes

Postby plastic orange » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:20 am

Cheapest option is to buy a secondhand Marina set up, but remember that the master cylinder requires a seal removed to stop the discs binding. Servo should be plumbed to work on all 4 wheels. As far as the difference between Ford and marina brakes, I'd suggest that you won't notice a huge difference in braking power given the performance of your car, but Marina stuff is becoming a little harder to get hold of, so if buying new I'd probably lean toward the Ford equipment. Jonathon at JLH sells the best kit.

PO
Undefeated best Orange Hawaiian award Pateley Bridge 5 years in a row.
plastic orange

Awards: 8
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Members Choice Award (1)

Scotland (sf) UK Scotland (.j)

Postby geezer » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:23 pm

If you don't mind making a couple of parts I can send you instructions for installing Nissan Sentra/200SX 9.75" vented front brakes using Midget hubs and inexpensive Nissan caliper and rotor. Alll parts are inexpensive and easy to find. Retains the Morris wheel PCD, no need for wheel spacers, and will fit within the stock Morris Minor wheel.

Send me an e-mail for more info
durningcharles@gmail.com

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133435255@N08/
Give an Englishman a car and he'll make it leak
geezer

United States (us) US Mississippi (ft)

Postby Corn22 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:54 am

geezer wrote:If you don't mind making a couple of parts I can send you instructions for installing Nissan Sentra/200SX 9.75" vented front brakes using Midget hubs and inexpensive Nissan caliper and rotor. Alll parts are inexpensive and easy to find. Retains the Morris wheel PCD, no need for wheel spacers, and will fit within the stock Morris Minor wheel.

Send me an e-mail for more info
durningcharles@gmail.com

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133435255@N08/

They do look good but I think I will stick with a kit option for now. Thanks
Corn22

Postby geezer » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:03 am

The caliper brackets are now available from Gerards garage,

http://gerardsgarage.com/
Give an Englishman a car and he'll make it leak
geezer

United States (us) US Mississippi (ft)