Corvettes, trucks and buses

Got other hobbies apart from Classic cars? Then you can share them here.

Corvettes, trucks and buses

Postby busguy » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:43 am

My hobbies are all aspects of transportation, but mainly road transport. Having worked in both the bus and truck sectors, it gets in the blood, so I have saved some notable old trucks and buses in the past for preservation. Don't own any at the moment, but always on the lookout to save something from the scrapman!
Other main hobby is Chevy Corvettes. I currently have a '78 Corvette Anniversary T Top in excellent condition.
busguy

Awards: 4
Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

England (en) UK England (.g)

PostThis post was deleted by The vast minority on Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:11 pm.
Reason: Ignored

Re: Corvettes, trucks and buses

Postby Beagle » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:27 pm

I used to rent a garage/ workshop on a local farm and as the farmer no longer has cattle he lets out his large buildings. There are about 60 buses there belonging to enthusiasts and some syndicates. One ex-bus mechanic runs a full time bus restoration business with one or two employees and always has more work than enough. Over the past decade I have seen numerous buses restored from 1930's through to the 1970's and have been fascinated at the engineering and the variety of engines. The scale of the job has been a lesson to me - just when I was getting downhearted at the size of a job I was doing, I only had to look in next door and realise how easy car restoration is! I've learned to respect these vehicles and love to see them out and about.....
Bertie, our 1965 Traveller
Beagle

England (en) UK Kent (.i)

Postby busguy » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:53 pm

Beagle wrote:I used to rent a garage/ workshop on a local farm and as the farmer no longer has cattle he lets out his large buildings. There are about 60 buses there belonging to enthusiasts and some syndicates. One ex-bus mechanic runs a full time bus restoration business with one or two employees and always has more work than enough. Over the past decade I have seen numerous buses restored from 1930's through to the 1970's and have been fascinated at the engineering and the variety of engines. The scale of the job has been a lesson to me - just when I was getting downhearted at the size of a job I was doing, I only had to look in next door and realise how easy car restoration is! I've learned to respect these vehicles and love to see them out and about.....

Hi 'Beagle'
You are probably near Uttoxeter then? If so, I know of a couple of the gentlemen that own some of the vehicles there. One rare Daimler coach at Uttoxeter was actually new to the Blue Bus fleet at Willington where I once worked. Later in life, I and another preservationist found it in a Barnsley scrapyard, so we quickly found someone to buy it out of the yard to save it.
A good restoration recently was an ex-Coventry single deck Daimler from 1937 or thereabouts. Roger Burnett restored it and has long term use of it, but it is owned by Derby Museums, I believe.
busguy

Awards: 4
Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

England (en) UK England (.g)

Postby Beagle » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:27 pm

Hi Busguy,
Yes, it is the same place, near Uttoxeter and I saw the Daimler from Derby Museum being restored. The guy who runs the restoration business also has a liking for American cars and has a couple for restoration in his spare time (a sort of busman's holiday?). Don't remember the make but very 'Dukes of Hazard'.
I was originally from Barnsley and remember buses being towed in from all over the place by a local scrapyard. Many lost their bodies and their chassis were supposedly exported out to Africa. It seemed to become a Mecca for bus preservationists.
John
Bertie, our 1965 Traveller
Beagle

England (en) UK Kent (.i)

Return to Other Hobbies