Big Boys Toys Working On 'Steam Engines'

Got other hobbies apart from Classic cars? Then you can share them here.

Big Boys Toys Working On 'Steam Engines'

Postby Aero_Ady » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:25 am

I'm probably like most blokes on here likeing steam trains and probably wanting to drive one when we were kids. One day a week I volunteer for a Steam Preservation Society doing all kinds of stuff from track laying, repairing buffers, stripping rolling chassis down for parts and anything in between. I even have a chassis that I'm converting wheel sets from another totally different chassis to fit then extend the chassis to take a 1890 coach which needs restoring on the outside. Best of all I get to move the steam engine that's used when it's fired up and do the repair work and maintain it. Who wants to grow up :D

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

You'll get on fine with Roy.

Undefeated best Orange Hawaiian award Pateley Bridge 5 years in a row.
plastic orange
Awards: 9
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1) Members Choice Award (1)

Scotland (sf) UK Scotland (.j)

As Pete points out above - I do spend a little time at Bo'ness..... in theory one day per week..... :D
Note my smart new 'blues' specially made for us by the inmates in HM Prison Barlinnie !

IMG_3327 Lo Res.JPG
Me with the orange cap badge....Fireman on this occasion.

IMG_3330 Lo Res.JPG
Me 'Guarding' the footplate before the off - light engine unusually (to collect a special freight train) - before anyone comments on the lamp code !

Morayshire back in the day....

Our Halloween trains...note among others Dr B Ching, carrying his 'report' and his much used axe.... No - it's not me, I was Driver that day.

Deceased Member
Deceased Member
Awards: 3
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) MMO Annual Award 2017 (1)

Return to Other Hobbies