CNC machined stuff

Got other hobbies apart from Classic cars? Then you can share them here.

CNC machined stuff

Postby The vast minority » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:33 pm

Got the machine out of storage now the house move is behind me.
Knocked this program up in a few minutes,
Now to make loads of em for all the keys ;)
image.jpeg
The vast minority

Awards: 5
Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

United Kingdom (uk)

Re: CNC machined stuff

Postby DaveC » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:22 pm

That's cool Al. How big is your CNC machine? Pretty handy piece of kit :D Having worked for 30 years for a plastics moulder in Leicester I always marvelled at the skill of the programmer. I have SolidWorks and a 3D printer, which I use work and printing trinkets ;)

For more practical bits I have my trusty old engraver. Image
.....but it is not nearly as good as a CNC machine. Can you cut metal on your CNC?

Dave ;)
DaveC

Awards: 2
Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1)

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Postby The vast minority » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:00 am

Eyup Dave

I used to work on one of them stylus engravers. On the bottom of a bottle you see something called stippling. Lots of tiny raised "stipples" the company I programmed and ran machines for had 4 big Deckel machines like that and I spent many a night shift engraving that pattern into the bottom plates of glass bottle moods for Budweiser, milk, Johnny walker et al while a CNC machine was running a cycle through.

I'm liking that printer, looks like a modern medical scanner.

My machine will cut aluminium with up to a mm carbide end mil but beyond that a lack of rigidity would be an issue.
I don't cut aly now though as the lubrication is such a mess because its not an enclosed machine.
It's small at 300 x 200 mm but great fun.

I use cambam and Mach 3

Al
The vast minority

Awards: 5
Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby DaveC » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:51 am

Yes its great fun to tinker with these machines Al :lol:

The Taylor Hobson engraver ended up with us in the design studio workshop, as a direct result of the CNC machine and laser engraving rendering it obsolete. Eventually into my workshop at home when I went onto contract, then the company folded up. I find it really useful from time to time making small but precise parts in metal wood and plastic. In its turn, it too has been made redundant making small plastic bits by the Cube...how things progress :D

Our programers uses NC graphics CADCAM, quite an old shool system from what I remember. I remember all the ol' boys in the toolroom mumbling about 'them in the office' (CAD room) when the machine arrived to cut the Comic Relief Red Nose tool in 1988. :D

Cheers Dave ;)
DaveC

Awards: 2
Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1)

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Return to Other Hobbies