Stationary Engine Rallying

Got other hobbies apart from Classic cars? Then you can share them here.

Stationary Engine Rallying

Postby DaveC » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:04 pm

Hi Folks

One of our pastimes is Stationary Engine rallying.

We have been doing this since I got an old sludge pump off a mate of mine in 1997, it makes for a great day or weekend away. During the year we do small and larger shows locally to our area here in Suffolk, all of which raise money for good causes, Air Ambulance and so on. We have to have public liability insurance for 5 million to exhibit engines, and be fenced in. It always is a welcome release from Southwold on a sunny summers day which gets packed with visitors, and also gives me a break from my duties as DLA for Southwold Lifeboat.

Does anyone else do this as well? :)

Our 1921 Associated Manufacturers' Co (Amanco) Hired Hand 2 1/4HP petrol paraffin engine and Lancashire Crypto generator:

The engine that started it all off, the Liner Sludge Pump 1934 (Lister DK Petrol Parrafin)

Johnson 'Chore Horse' tank starter 1943, this one is small enough to go in the back of the van

The one I regret selling, Wolseley WDII Patrol Paraffin 1945 and hacksaw circa 1930 set up

My old traveller on hauling duties 2007

A typical small rally, this one at the Randolph Hotel, Reydon

This one in a mate's garden in Norfolk October 2015, a 'crank up day' for friends, not open to the public (no fences)

A larger rally, this one was Henham Steam Rally in Suffolk. We have done this every year since 1998

This year I modelled some Lister D engines and used my 3D printer to print them off as a 'thank you' to the engine friends who came to our village Fun Day :D

I am always interested in old engines, if any of you find any when you are hunting around in barns for Morrises let me know, I'm sure my wife would be so pleased :lol:

Cheers for now.
Dave ;)
DaveC

Awards: 2
Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1)

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Re: Stationary Engine Rallying

Postby DaveS » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:46 pm

Amazing pastime Dave. Your engines look great. I've seen scale steam engines but can't recall ever seeing the likes of yours and fellow enthusiasts. Well done a very interesting thread.
DaveS
Duffer

Awards: 8
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

England (en) UK Lancashire (lk)

Postby Panky » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:10 pm

Love seeing these at shows :D
The steady pom pom pom pom pom of a Lister churning away is very pleasing :) Useful too in a power cut.
Panky

Postby busguy » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:36 am

Great hobby!
I used to have a horizontal Robinson gas engine from approx 1912, but sold it because of a house move :? I believe Robinson of Manchester became part of, or maybe part of the start up, of the renowned Gardner engine company that made many versions of industrial engines in the early 1900's, and then graduated to making the most efficient diesels engines in the early 1930's, through to the 1980's.
I do like the idea of about 30 or 40 engines cranked in my garden. My favourite neighbours would love it .........NOT 8)
busguy

Awards: 5
Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

England (en) UK England (.g)

Postby steve w » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:06 am

i recently sold my chore boy as i couldnt get on with it but i still have a few engines - my favorite is my Fuller and johnson which i rebuilt a few yrs ago. i am looking for a bamford tulip top if you know anyone selling one,
steve w

Postby DaveC » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:09 pm

Wow Robinson gas engine, would probably be worth a small fortune now busguy!
Yes Steve, a Bamford Tulip Top would be top of my list if I was in the market for another engine and hadn't spent all my 'project money' on my Morris Van. :D :D :D
I'll pm you if i hear of or see one for sale. Very pretty engine :)
DaveC

Awards: 2
Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1)

Postby greendefender123 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:34 pm

I used to go with friend and his grandfather when I was a kid. He had a big engine that would blow balls around in a glass box. I remember hiding the pipes under the grass and topping the water up. My friend had a small engine aswell but it only lit a light up. Used to tow it behind an old Leyland highway camper van. Good times.
greendefender123

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby irmscher » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:42 pm

Great machines. :D
irmscher

Awards: 3
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

Return to Other Hobbies