Valve radios

Got other hobbies apart from Classic cars? Then you can share them here.
DaveC
England

Contribution Stars

Valve radios

Post by DaveC »

Since I was a teenager back in the 70's I have been interested in valve radio design, and have a collection of sets, which we now take to shows with the Morris dressed up as a 'Radio Rentals' van. Some work, some don't, although I do refurbish them by replacing the capacitors, but being self taught, my electronics knowledge is limited. I'm hoping it will be something to do when I retire... :) We still rally our engines as my topic posted here five years ago, but the radios weigh a lot less to take to shows :D :D

Being a supporter of Radio Caroline and as the 648 AM transmitter is only about 15 miles away from us, I listen on a working set, but mostly on my Grundig 'Yacht Boy' transistor, which is itself 50 years old!

Cheers
Dave :)

1958 1/4 Ton van, 1275cc (ex PO Engineers)

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Re: Valve radios

Post by Custard »

I remember the Grundig Yacht Boy, my first cassette was a Grundig too.

I think the first two way taxi radio my dad had in a Morris Oxford was valves. A massive blue thing.

I am not sure if its just me, but I can never see any of the pictures on your posts I just see a grey no entry sign.

Sean.

DaveC
England

Contribution Stars

Post by DaveC »

Hi Sean
Thanks, I will have to look into that
I can see the photos on my PC but not on my iPad so something is amiss.
I used to use Photobucket but currently use google images, but clearly not working
Cheers
Dave

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Post by Custard »

I wonder if it isn't uploading them but only doing a link so you see them if you are logged in to images on your laptop, but not on another device.

I didn't know Radio Caroline was still going. I also used to listen to Atlantic 252 and Radio Luxembourg.

I can PM Mick Essex if you cant spot what is causing the issue.

Sean.

DaveC
England

Contribution Stars

Post by DaveC »

Thanks Sean
I will look into it over the next few days, thought I had it sorted. Not very good with this stuff. Facebook so so much easier, but I dislike it so much I would rather be here.
Dave :? :)

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Post by Custard »

I am not on facebook, or any other social media.

If you get bogged down, Pm Mick Essex as he has done a lot of work on the forum and there were a few picture related issues when we moved hosts/servers a few years back plus as an admin he can see details we cant.

Sean.

DaveC
England

Contribution Stars

Post by DaveC »

Hi Sean
I find Facebook has its benefits for small engine rallies, but most of it is utter rubbish, increasingly infested with know-it-alls and trolls. This prompted my rekindled interest in the Forum, and I had forgotten what a great community and source of information it is. Far better than Facebook in so many ways.
Regarding the pictures I have tried imgbb and several embedding options instead of Google Photos and I think its working now.... :)
Thanks for the tip of it not working...and yes Caroline is broadcasting on 648AM (since November 2017) as well as being on the internet of course www.radiocaroline.co.uk . They also broadcast once a month from the Ross Revenge moored in the Blackwater (Essex) and my brother and I went aboard a couple of times to have a look. Great day out! :D
Cheers Dave

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Post by Custard »

Yes it's all working now.

For all threads just been back and seen the row of cars on the East Anglian meet up page.

Thanks for sorting that.

Sean.

plastic orange
Scotland

Contribution Stars

Members Choice Award

Post by plastic orange »

Around 55 years ago I found several valve radios in my gran's shed, so being adventurous, i tried to see if I could get a sound out of any of them. To my surprise they all worked - after i'd sorted out an aerial. I asked if I could have one and she said I could (could have got them all really), so I chose the best one. It's an HMV with a central dial, but also has push buttons to select channels. I used it in my bedroom after rigging up an aerial, and it worked pretty well. However, it started to get a bit smelly due to getting hot, so I stopped using it as the wiring inside seemed rather brittle. I still have it, but it was stored in my garage and got slightly damp, and really needs some love. It had a really nice tone and had a great volume - better than the transistor radio i was given to use at the time.
One day I'll have a look at it.

PO

Undefeated best Orange Hawaiian award Pateley Bridge 5 years in a row.

Mecanglais
Formally known as chesney
France

Contribution Stars

Post by Mecanglais »

Stick a V8 in it 😁

I got an old valve radio given a few years back, must have been a '50's thing, wooden with dark wood dials. It came to me as non working, I planned to take the innards out and put a sub-woofer in it and put it in the back of my Moggy, but (fortunately) unfortunately I managed to get it working, and couldn't bring myself to do it!

DaveC
England

Contribution Stars

Post by DaveC »

Great stories, I guess the smell and sounds of these radios is something we remember from way back, parents and grandparents all had them. A bit like a Moggy I guess 😄