'Sonic' My daughters first car.

Project or showroom for non-Minor classic cars

'Sonic' My daughters first car.

Postby tickman » Tue May 31, 2016 1:08 pm

My daughter, Charlotte, turned 17 today and in anticipation of this I was on the look out for a car for her.
She likes most things and her criteria was for it to have free road tax!

(If you don't like words just scroll down)

While looking around I found an add for a car that had been off the road for a couple of years and looked a bit shabby but not too bad.
When the seller got back in touch he sent over loads of pictures of all parts of the car showing all the bad spot and none of the good parts! The car look honest but a little tatty in the pictures.

Obviously it was not local and collecting it from the middle of nowhere would be an absolute nightmare so I agreed to buy it and sent over the money. :)

A plan was kind of put in place, I was going to Manchester to visit family and Manchester is in England so a lot nearer to my new car. A lift from Manchester to Sonic was organised by using the following words 'Dad are you busy Monday?' Sorted.

Monday arrived and with insurance in place and an MOT booked to make me legal off we set. Hill and Dale were travelled until we arrived at a strange place, the far side of Peterborough, with smooth roads, this we found very unusual, even the road to the farm which was not on the sat nav was smoother than a lot of roads in the local area. This I was taking as a good omen.

As we pulled in to the farmyard, which was a fantastic place, we met the seller. A cursory look around the car and a quick spin up the lane led to some paperwork.
All offers of tea and hospitality were politely declined with the unknown length of journey in an unknown car ahead and a time limit of having to get to the garage before it closed.

A quick picture of the speedo before setting off.
IMAG0207.jpg

Directions were asked to the local garage to fill up for the journey, with no garages being 'local' we got a top up from a can in the garage. A+ seller, even gives you extra fuel after the car is yours and not his problem! :)

We headed north with me taking it steady to get used to the car. 50 was quite comfortable and quiet along the country lanes. We got to the garage/ services and I filled up. I got back in the car and flicked the key to find only the ignition lights and no starter or click! :?

Popped the bonnet (so cool it hinges forward, a first for me) and within two minutes I had him going by shorting the starter solenoid to the battery which are happily next to each other. :-D

Off we go again and start plodding our way to Stretford and my date with the MOT station.
After driving over the Derbyshire Dales and many twisty roads and hills we eventually have a little stretch of the M60 at rush hour. This we take in our stride and arrive at the garage for 5:30.

I explain the not starting on the key to Phil (it had done the same at a food pit stop) so Phil comes out and puts the key in and he fires right up :shock:

I am told it will be done first thing in the morning and to give a call at 9:30.........

Obviously I have the MOT check page on my phone and am checking it in the morning and nothing has changed online so I give a quick call to be told 'sorry I am running late, it's being done now' :-(

Finally I get the call and the news..

you can collect it now were done!

Passed 8)

Obviously it has some advisories and some recommendations of extra work needing done but Phil said 'It is actually quite tidy underneath'
So now I tax it and take it 'home' for the night in Manchester where Marianne takes it for a spin round the block with my mum riding shotgun and comes back raving about how good it is :)

Finally after Chuck has got up and showered she eventually see the car that she will be learning to drive in. I take her for a spin and he gets another thumbs up.

So now we are in Manchester with two cars and need to head home as Marianne has an appointment on Thursday.
Tuesday night is a catch up with some more family and then Wednesday we set off at about 10. We plod up the road doing 55-65 all the way.
The only issues we have are some lumpy running and cutting out when I pulled into the first service stop at Lancaster. I am sure this is the possibly original leads from the distributor so a full service of the ignition system is priority number 1.

The next stop is the last services on the M6 for fuel as the needle drops very quickly through the last 'quarter' of the tank.

We leave the services and head for Dundee.
Eventually we get home with no more stops and park up ever so slightly knackered, not from the drive but because of three nights with the family (eating too much and drinking far too much) but collection achieved.

IMAG0222.jpg

455 miles done which is roughly half of its annual mileage since new.

Impressions of the car: It's brilliant, why the British car industry mostly died is a shame when they made cars like this.

Impressions of the seller: What more could anyone want. Honest about the car, probably put it down more than it deserved.

So what is it?

1972 Triumph Toledo.
It has been on its first driving lesson today!

IMG_20160531_094001.jpg

IMG_20160531_093945.jpg

John
tickman

Awards: 2
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1)

Scotland (sf)

Re: 'Sonic' My daughters first car.

Postby Plin » Tue May 31, 2016 1:43 pm

:D Great adventure! Hope Charlotte realises what a great Dad she has finding and sorting a lovely usable classic. (No doubt Dad will have to borrow it now and again to get the Toledo fix?!!) :drive: Happy motoring Charlotte!
Plin

Awards: 10
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1) MMO Annual Award 2016 (1) MMO Top Tester (1)

Postby tickman » Tue May 31, 2016 2:29 pm

Plin wrote:.............(No doubt Dad will have to borrow it now and again to get the Toledo fix?!!) :drive: Happy motoring Charlotte!

Funny you should mention that as the first thing I said to her after getting back from the garage was 'your not having it, it's mine' :D
tickman

Scotland (sf)

Postby qwertyhenry » Tue May 31, 2016 3:16 pm

lucky young lady u have there john and the car looks brill hope shes has meny good miles in it :D
qwertyhenry

Scotland (sf) UK Scotland (.j)

Postby Panky » Tue May 31, 2016 3:32 pm

Great find and a very lucky girl :D
Panky

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Postby DaveS » Tue May 31, 2016 4:10 pm

Fantastic post :D
Oh the joys of being a parent personally I love it.
Well done mate.
DaveS
Duffer

Awards: 8
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

England (en) UK Lancashire (lk)

Postby tickman » Tue May 31, 2016 4:34 pm

Thanks for all the comments.

Seem to have hit lucky with the car, obviously the happy daughter is down to good parenting :roll:

Still having a bit of bother getting it timed up properly but have my timing light and some information ready for another go.
tickman

Scotland (sf)

Postby ruairidh » Tue May 31, 2016 7:15 pm

Well done on completing your momentous journey. :)
Be all you can be
ruairidh

Scotland (sf) UK Northern Ireland (ek)

Postby plastic orange » Tue May 31, 2016 11:13 pm

We had a brown 2 door Toledo (Toby) as a second car for several years. It had only done 14,000 miles from new, and best mod I ever did was fit a set of marina wheels to it (better offset and they had radials). I did a fair bit of welding on it over the years, but the family loved it. Good call John, your daughter will love it.

PO
Undefeated best Orange Hawaiian award Pateley Bridge 5 years in a row.
plastic orange

Awards: 9
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1) Members Choice Award (1)

Postby Custard » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:52 am

Nice car, good for parking too.

I had a Dolomite for quite a while.

Went at both ends, but I knew nothing then, boot overhang where it is drilled for the chrome strip, and the box section in front of the bonnet hinges should have been waxoyled. I also made an extra exhaust bracket using an old dynamo adjuster bracket from the rear bumper mount as there is a lot at the back unsupported and mine kept breaking rather than rusting.

Am sure you will both enjoy it, and no robbing the seats for the Minor.

Sean.
Custard

Awards: 5
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

Ireland (ie)

Postby tickman » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:53 pm

plastic orange wrote:We had a brown 2 door Toledo (Toby) as a second car for several years. It had only done 14,000 miles from new, and best mod I ever did was fit a set of marina wheels to it (better offset and they had radials). I did a fair bit of welding on it over the years, but the family loved it. Good call John, your daughter will love it.

PO

Might get Chuck to bring it along to Arbroath one Thursday!

Custard wrote:Nice car, good for parking too.

I had a Dolomite for quite a while.

Went at both ends, but I knew nothing then, boot overhang where it is drilled for the chrome strip, and the box section in front of the bonnet hinges should have been waxoyled. I also made an extra exhaust bracket using an old dynamo adjuster bracket from the rear bumper mount as there is a lot at the back unsupported and mine kept breaking rather than rusting.

Am sure you will both enjoy it, and no robbing the seats for the Minor.

Sean.

There are quite a few sections that need a bit of love, The structural bits that were wafer thin that scraped through the MOT have been sorted so far.
The seats are very comfy but if she does her test in it I will have to fit at least one with head rests for the examiner!

I will have a look at the exhaust and bracket, plenty of other bits need looking at too!
tickman

Scotland (sf)

Postby tickman » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:53 pm

I need to do a bit of work on the Toledo so I put him on the Seesaw I have.

IMG_20180128_142837.jpg
Seesaw

First I pulled out the fiberglass and was left with this.

IMG_20180129_102757.jpg
Left with

Got a piece of metal and put a bend in it.

IMG_20180129_103825.jpg
Bend

The front isn't flat so I had one piece for the recessed bit.

IMG_20180129_105001.jpg
Recessed bit

I put a bend in the other piece with the shrinker. Then stuck those in.

IMG_20180129_112510.jpg
Valance end

Then I started on the wing piece.

IMG_20180129_124732.jpg
Wing piece

Half of it in. I then made and fitted the next bit but no pictures as I was doing a lot of thinking.

IMG_20180129_124736.jpg

The bit where the sidelight screws in was a bit rusty as can be seen above so out that came.

IMG_20180129_142327.jpg
sidelight

Made a bit.

IMG_20180129_142339.jpg
Made a bit

Stuck it in.

IMG_20180129_143415.jpg
Stuck it in

This is today's debris.

IMG_20180129_143650.jpg
Today's debris

A casualty of war, started smoking when charging one of the drill batteries so that's dead then!

IMG_20180129_143720.jpg
casualty

That was about 5 hours 'work' and enough for today.
tickman

Scotland (sf)

Postby mogimad » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:35 pm

Looking good John,
I’ll get the whole story on sat.
D.
In My Defence.........I Was Left Unsupervised.....
mogimad

Awards: 4
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1)

Return to Non-Minor Classics Projects & Showroom