The first 'MMO Rocker Cover Derby' @Pateley Bridge 2017

Having a clearout? Advertise your freebies here
Forum rules
You can advertise anything for free here, You must put the location for the item that is offered. Once the item is no longer available, please make a post saying so, so a Mod can delete the thread and keep the forum tidy. All threads will auto delete after 6 months of no activity.
Hi all, every year we try and think of ways to make our National Gathering at Pateley Bridge a little better and a little different, this year we will be having our first 'Rocker Cover Derby'. For those who don't know what this is, you take a rocker cover from an engine and turn it into a Rocker Cover Racer, add 4 wheels and some imagination and compete by racing against other members Racers down a ramp and along a track, using purely gravity and momentum, no engines, no electric motors, no remote controls or even the use of rubber bands or moving weights will be allowed. If you want more information you can do a Google search for 'Rocker Cover Derby' which will give you more info and also ideas for building your Racers. Racers can be constructed as simply as bolting a rocker cover to a small skateboard or as complex as your engineering ability allows. Remember this is just a bit of fun.

The Racers must comply with the following rules and specifications to be able to compete.

[EDIT: THE RULES WILL BE CHANGED FOR 2018 DERBY, SO PLEASE WAIT FOR THE NEW SET TO BE PUBLISHED BEFORE BUILDING YOUR 2018 RACER]
The rules for the construction of the Rocker Cover Racer are as follows:
· No engine, propulsion or moving weights. Gravity is your friend;
· The racer must be made from an internal combustion engine rocker cover ;
· The rocker cover must retain its entire original gasket-sealing surface;
· The racer can have a chassis, but the chassis cannot be inter-changed with any other rocker cover body after it is registered for that days racing;
· Nothing may extend beyond the gasket surface on the front of the racer;
· There must be a total of four wheels, either inside or outside of the rocker cover with non-metallic surface contacting the track;
· The racer must be clean (no sludge). If the racer drips oil, grease or any other liquid substance, it is disqualified and will not be able to race;
· Appearance alterations are encouraged, but it must still be recognisable as a rocker cover;
· It is advised to provide capability to make minor steering corrections.

The racer dimensions are as follows:

· Maximum Length 26 inches (660mm)
· Maximum Width 9 inches (229mm)
· Maximum Height 10 inches (254mm)
· Maximum Weight 10 pounds (4.535 kg)
· Maximum Wheel Diameter 6 inches (152mm)
· Maximum Front Road Clearance 1.5 inches (38mm)
· Minimum Road Clearance 0.75 inches (19mm)

Race Track

THE MMO Racetrack will have two parallel lanes each lane being approx 11 inches (280mm) wide with a raised barrier each side and a raised lane divider at the centre. (The exact dimensions and a photo of the ramp and track will be added as soon as it is constructed).

A rocker cover racer is started with their front wheels on the starting line rail in each lane. Start line rail for both lanes is dropped at the same time. Both racers coast to finish line. The winner is the first racer to have its front cross the finish line. If neither racer makes it to the finish line, the car going the furthest in its lane wins. Leaving lane is a disqualification.

Racing Process

A heat consists of one rocker cover racer in each lane racing to finish line. Rocker covers racers swap lanes and run again, constituting one heat. The same two valve covers run heats until one wins the most. The winning valve cover will advance to the next heat. Heats will continue until all valve covers are eliminated except one.
If a racer interferes with another car, he loses that round.
If a racer is hampered by a track problem, they get another run.

The Judges decision is final on all matters.

There will be a cup awarded to the overall winner with an award for second place, there is also a 'Judges Choice' award for the Racer owner showing the best imagination in design and build.

The derby will take place during the main show on the Sunday, a specific start time will be announced when numbers of competitors are in.

To help us plan for the event, if you could register your interest in entering the Derby it would be very appreciated.

Mick
Ragnar Image Previously owned Cassie Image Julie Image
MickEssex

Awards: 8
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) MMO Annual Award Winner (1)

Great Britain (GB) UK Essex (.m)

Yep, if you are doing the track I will make a one.

Sean.
Custard

Awards: 4
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

Ireland (ie)

cooooooooooooooollll :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
qwertyhenry

Scotland (sf) UK Scotland (.j)

Excellent idea, Ill join in
The vast minority

Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

United Kingdom (uk)

Can it be a rocker box off something else?
ie. not a moggy?
Lurch

Great Britain (GB) Jolly Roger (.f)

Yes as long as it comes within the rules.
MickEssex

Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)

Brian

"Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, van wheels, vert shocks, arb etc.
BrianHawley

Awards: 1
Contributions 2017 (1)

Saudi Arabia (sa)

That looks great :D 8) fun.
Be all you can be
ruairidh

Awards: 2
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1)

Scotland (sf) UK Northern Ireland (ek)

Hopefully we can get enough taking part to make it a proper event. I reckon some of the MG owners will join in next year if it is a success. :)
MickEssex

MickEssex wrote:Hopefully we can get enough taking part to make it a proper event. I reckon some of the MG owners will join in next year if it is a success. :)

How about we promote it to the MG guys THIS year to ensue it is a success?

Al
The vast minority

Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

United Kingdom (uk)

I'm not sure about that, those MG's are a bit quick :D Maybe some kind of penalty system should be introduced with them carrying extra weight ;)
Panky

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

The vast minority wrote:
MickEssex wrote:Hopefully we can get enough taking part to make it a proper event. I reckon some of the MG owners will join in next year if it is a success. :)

How about we promote it to the MG guys THIS year to ensue it is a success?

Al

When I catch up with the organisers shortly I will mention it to them. We don't want to give them too much notice! :lol:
Big Al
Furry Feet

Awards: 9
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) MMO Annual Award Winner (1) MMO Top Tester (1)

England (en) UK Hertfordshire (.h)

I could do with some numbers now so I can organise the Derby heats. If you are going to race one or more Rocker cover racers can you post on here or pm me.

The track is almost complete, once I get it home and painted I'll post up some pics.

Racing list:
MickEssex
Big Al

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
MickEssex

me I'm in
qwertyhenry

Scotland (sf) UK Scotland (.j)

Thank you Henry. :)

Racing list:
MickEssex
Big Al
qwertyhenry
MickEssex

Next

Return to Free