My Latest - Ex Drag Strip Pick-up

Anything goes - chassis, V6's, V8's etc.

Re: My Latest - Ex Drag Strip Pick-up

Postby rv8 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:56 pm

better with the ford engine up front,run standard ecu and get it chipped ,not difficult and easy done as a few have done it ,then front coilovers and wishbones as ive done ,plenty room for an antirollbar too,and if you five link the rear it will handle better.
" its never the coil............."
rv8

Postby ty222 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:26 pm

Hi Guys

sorry its been so long since there has been an update,but i have been working on a couple other car repairs recently which have taken their time.

ive came back to look at my minor and i just dont think this Subaru engine is a good idea especially with this frame.

so new idea, but i do need help as its not something ive tried before, previously mentioned was using the scooby frame and dropping the cab onto it. Now ive recently came across a mini cooper s and was wondering if anyone here could suggest how i can use the frame and floor of the mini, could it just be a case of cutting the rest down and then welding the minor cab onto it pending required space?

Am i missing a better way of doing this?

Thanks in advance!
ty222

England (en) UK Staffordshire (es)

Postby plastic orange » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:26 am

I think you are probably at the stage of making a new chassis as you've probably gone too far with the one you have to go back. Either fab a completely new design up, or find an original Minor chassis and use that. Advantage of a complete new design is that you aren't limited to engine size for the space available as you can fit whatever suspension etc that will do the job. Advantage of a new minor chassis is that it will fit the cab and all standard suspension parts can be utilised and be uprated. Engine would have to be a 4 cylinder, and the zetec option seems to be the current fave. Also with the current DVLA shenanigans, you may find registering a one off problematic, and it may be worth more still being essentially a minor if standard chassis used.
Your Mini plan would involve cutting the bulkhead and floor from the mini and the same from the minor and joining them. It's been done before quite a few times and can be successful, but takes a lot of measuring. No sure about using a mini though as I've never been impressed with them and they aren't very quick compared to an easier option. Have a look through the modified sections here and see how folk have built their cars as it may give you ideas.

PO
Image Image

Undefeated best Orange Hawaiian award Pateley Bridge 4 years in a row
plastic orange

Awards: 8
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Members Choice Award (1)

Scotland (sf) UK Scotland (.j)

Postby ty222 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:59 pm

Thanks PO really appreciate you taking the time to get back to my post and it has been very helpful,i think i will give the mini idea a miss and continue brainstorming, but since reading i have also been reading up on DVLA registration and looking at it with the suspension i have and engine/gearbox upgrade i want im probably heading towards a q plate which is a shame. I already have the V5 for this vehicle so after my changes what would happen if i didnt re register the vehicle? It would be registered as the 1973 Morris and the engine has been changed on there,but it wont meet 8 points that it needs to so it can retain historical status. Any help on this before i go ahead would also be greatly appreciated!
ty222

England (en) UK Staffordshire (es)

Previous

Return to Extreme Modifications