Swansea and modifications

Anything goes - chassis, V6's, V8's etc.
bumpy
Great Britain

Swansea and modifications

Post by bumpy »

Just how vigorously are Swansea applying the rules relating to mods on historic vehicles.

As I understand it, if the mods overstep the mark, then you lose the historic vehicle status (no MOT or Road Tax required) and might even be given a Q plate.

Morris Minor 2 door saloon May 1963 in dove grey. 83,000 on original engine. Known as Moggy Moo.
Heated front and rear screens, disc brakes on front, heater, radio, refitted interior including new seats, electronic ignition.

plastic orange
Scotland

Contribution Stars

Members Choice Award

Re: Swansea and modifications

Post by plastic orange »

The best advice I can give anyone who runs a substantially (MOT terminology as dictated by DVLA) modified classic is to MOT it every year. That way you will not fall foul of the question that is asked about your vehicle being MOT exempt when you go to tax it, and you shouldn't get a tug from the Police (on the mot front). I don't think this question is asked for pre 1960 cars though, but I may be wrong. If you answer that your car is MOT exempt despite being substantially modified and something goes wrong, then you've shot yourself in the foot on several counts. Of course, there are different views on what constitutes a substantially modified classic, so check up on the regs. Also note, that the MOT exempt rules are not the same as those required to put a modified vehicle on the road (8 point rule) and this adds to the confusion. My personal opinion is MOT it and ensure that it is properly insured with all mods declared and keep it roadworthy. I still see heavily modded classics running about declaring MOT exemption - easy check on DVLA mot check web page put inputting reg number. There also used to be cars registered as something they don't look like - another shot of the foot. DVLA can rescind your entitlement to registration if they find out you've not followed the rules, but they don't confiscate your car, it just has to go for a BIVA test. There is also a rule regarding when the car was modified - I think it's 40 years to be exempt from rules.
There is a section on all these issues on the rods n sods website which explains it all.

PO

Undefeated best Orange Hawaiian award Pateley Bridge 5 years in a row.

bumpy
Great Britain

Post by bumpy »

plastic orange wrote:
1 month ago
The best advice I can give anyone who runs a substantially (MOT terminology as dictated by DVLA) modified classic is to MOT it every year. That way you will not fall foul of the question that is asked about your vehicle being MOT exempt when you go to tax it, and you shouldn't get a tug from the Police (on the mot front). I don't think this question is asked for pre 1960 cars though, but I may be wrong. If you answer that your car is MOT exempt despite being substantially modified and something goes wrong, then you've shot yourself in the foot on several counts. Of course, there are different views on what constitutes a substantially modified classic, so check up on the regs. Also note, that the MOT exempt rules are not the same as those required to put a modified vehicle on the road (8 point rule) and this adds to the confusion. My personal opinion is MOT it and ensure that it is properly insured with all mods declared and keep it roadworthy. I still see heavily modded classics running about declaring MOT exemption - easy check on DVLA mot check web page put inputting reg number. There also used to be cars registered as something they don't look like - another shot of the foot. DVLA can rescind your entitlement to registration if they find out you've not followed the rules, but they don't confiscate your car, it just has to go for a BIVA test. There is also a rule regarding when the car was modified - I think it's 40 years to be exempt from rules.
There is a section on all these issues on the rods n sods website which explains it all.

PO
A dealer in Essex sells highly modified vintage cars. Changes include V8 engine, gearbox, back axle, front axle brakes etc.

I have asked, should a buyer need to be concerned about the DVLA.

Don't worry about it - just drive it an enjoy it. Easy for him to say having pocketed often in excess of £50,000.

Morris Minor 2 door saloon May 1963 in dove grey. 83,000 on original engine. Known as Moggy Moo.
Heated front and rear screens, disc brakes on front, heater, radio, refitted interior including new seats, electronic ignition.

bumpy
Great Britain

Post by bumpy »

bumpy wrote:
1 month ago
plastic orange wrote:
1 month ago

PO
A dealer in Essex sells expensive highly modified vintage cars. Changes include V8 engine, gearbox, back axle, front axle, brakes, steering etc

I have asked, should a buyer need to be concerned about the DVLA.

"Don't worry about it - just drive it an enjoy it"

Easy for him to say having pocketed often in excess of £50,000.

plastic orange
Scotland

Contribution Stars

Members Choice Award

Post by plastic orange »

I'd suggest that dealer is living on borrowed time - what happens if someone is injured or killed in one of his creations? I'm not saying they are unsafe, and would hope they get mot'd at the very least.
He's a phone call away from getting a visit, if he upsets a customer. Nowadays, £50k is a cheap build.

PO

Undefeated best Orange Hawaiian award Pateley Bridge 5 years in a row.