Astral Traveller

Anything goes - chassis, V6's, V8's etc.
Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Re: Astral Traveller

Post by Custard »

A tribute to the original builder though.

I had seen pictures of Astral Traveller in the magazines, but none of the actual chassis.

The backbone is not too dissimilar in approach to some of the Triumph TRs or the MX5.

It was probably cutting edge then and a lot better than most of the mass produced cars.

Thanks for the update.

Sean.

Kernowviking
United Kingdom

Post by Kernowviking »

This was still where the picture was taken back in January. Funnily enough I bought my police minor from next to this. You can just see the matt black door to the left of frame.

However, when I picked up the car I think it may have moved on owing to a 'disagreement' between owner and mechanic.

The chassis had been built up and was looking pretty good. The body not in the best shape having spent A Cornish winter outdoors.

Pig- 1968 2 door Trafalgar Blue
Panda- 1970 2 door Met Police car

plastic orange
Scotland

Contribution Stars

Members Choice Award

Post by plastic orange »

I've not had an update from the owner - Treve Flamank for a while now, but he assures me it's going to get done. The shell did look a bit rough as it was stored in a pigeon loft (almost) in Thurso, but was actually only surface rust and pigeon crap, but it's super solid with almost perfect shut lines and wing fit. At one time I actually thought about putting it on a 4 x 4 chassis as a quick fix.If I hear anything I'll update here, and Treve is happy for me to do so.

PO

Undefeated best Orange Hawaiian award Pateley Bridge 5 years in a row.

Kernowviking
United Kingdom

Post by Kernowviking »

It was a shame it dissappeared as I was looking forward to seeing the progress.
I do hope it's not how the garage chap explained it to me.

I was told it was being 'massively updated', as you say the chassis needed bringing up to date somewhat.

What I did see wasn't a bad job by any means. I hope Treve can provide an update to you PO

plastic orange
Scotland

Contribution Stars

Members Choice Award

Post by plastic orange »

I do think the chassis needed upgraded as it was rather an overkill and very heavy. The rear axle wasn't located very well, but as it's a genuine E type one, I'd use it again with a refurb - it's very low mileage I was told. Front end needed totally re done, and if building a new chassis from scratch, the world is your oyster. The engine going in is a rover V8 which I do feel is a backward step, but it will have the soundtrack required, and anywhere a Rover fits, so does any V8.
I've no idea of 'garage' politics, but i do hope it's finished one day.

PO

Kernowviking
United Kingdom

Post by Kernowviking »

I did see the front suspension looked to be from a Cortina, not sure if this was as it was or as it's intended to be.

plastic orange
Scotland

Contribution Stars

Members Choice Award

Post by plastic orange »

The original suspension fitted was from an Austin Westminster. This was removed from it's original clip and the mounts to pick up shocks and suspension wishbones were fabricated on the chassis. A Morris Minor rack was also used, but i think the whole set up proved problematic due to geometry. A full Cortina front clip would be a reasonable compromise though, but not the most attractive. I thought of using a full MGB front clip which actually is very similar to the westminster and would allow the 5 stud hubs to be used to suit the wheels.

PO