Bulkhead modifications

Larger 4 cylinder engines, body mods, major brake and handling modifications.
Tlea

Bulkhead modifications

Post by Tlea »

In the middle of doing a Toyota 4AGE w/auto trans conversion. The crossmember on the bulkhead that the shocks attach to, other than shocks how much structural impact does it affect? I need about 2 inches

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Re: Bulkhead modifications

Post by Custard »

A lot its a main member running side to side and the steering rack is bolted to the floor below it.

Also as the Shock Absorbers are the only top suspension link they are critical to the forward and backward location of the suspension as well as the side to side so a critical area of the vehicle.

A fair number of tuned cars add strengthening in that area even if they are not cutting into it.

I presume you want the space just in the middle under the battery for the back of the head.

It is actually a box section. What has been done before is to strengthen behind it from inside the car with suitable angle or box section.

Having done that the front of the box section gets cut out and you can slope the sides neatly back.

If you are not used to welding get it done by someone who is, it needs to be fully seam welded. You don't have to be able to weld it in one long run and its advisable not to put that much heat into in one go anyway, but when completed it really needs to be a long line and if its going to be inspected neatly finished and seam sealed so it looks like it is up to or exceeds the original.

Two things before you do it;

1) Have you checked there will be room for the Auto Box, the Moggy rack above the box is a bit of a pain for large modifications and although Zetecs with a Ford Type 9 manual box are relatively common an auto box is usually a bit larger because of the torque converter.

2) Depending on where you are located this may be classed as a chassis modification so may have other knock on effects.

I did see pictures of one I think in America where it had that engine complete with air conditioning. It was a full engine bay but it was nicely done.

Hopefully that helps.

Have you already got the engine and box? Does it mate straight to a T50 box?

Please post some pictures if you are going ahead with it. I often think it would be a nice engine to have if it mates with the T50 as I have one on the back of the A series 1275. So all the prop and tunnel cover change has already been done.

Sean.

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Post by Custard »

Picture copied from another post showing the sort of thing that can be done.

Others have taken more away than that, and relocated the battery to the boot.

This one is in progress and you can see the other additional plates that are being added.

I expect the drilled holes will be where they are going to plug weld the strengthener to attach it to the metal below.

The slot may or may not be there on yours. Some older cars had the round heater and an optional trunking to suck "fresh" air up from that point.

Later cars have a round hole near the fuse box and a corrugated hose the the front grille panel which is often referred to as the elephants trunk.

Personally if you have that slot and are putting a bigger engine in I would weld it up while doing the other stuff and do something else with the heater.

Rikards Zetec Conversion.jpg
Rikards Zetec Conversion.jpg (44.33 KiB) Viewed 71 times
Rikards Zetec Conversion.jpg
Sean.

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Post by Custard »

This video shows a squared off one being done.

Personally I think its nicer to take a bit wider section and angle it in more like you would expect a manufacturer to do.

He has a later video showing a modified coolant take off he fitted later.

This is a different one completed quite a few years ago now, this is the one that first drew my attention to the 4 age engine.

Sean.

Tlea

Post by Tlea »

Those are excellent and very helpful. Yes I have welding skills (I restore american muscle cars). I will measure and once progress will post pictures
Thank you