Volumex Build

Larger 4 cylinder engines, body mods, major brake and handling modifications.

Volumex Build

Postby Wal » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:17 pm

First trial fit of my Volumex into the car.

Carb is too tight so still a bit more cutting out required before I can complete the airbox.

But it's started, and now know I can make it fit.

IMG_20190209_101351.jpg
Volumex

Wal
Wal

Re: Volumex Build

Postby 58 MOGGY » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:22 pm

Hi,nice build,that was the engine I was going to fit in my minor ,before I lost my mind and went Cosworth turbo, full spaceframe
Dunk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dunk
58 MOGGY

England (en)

Postby Paul WAP347 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:49 am

Looks a very interesting build 8) I'm now running a weber dcoe on my supercharged V6 with good results keep the pictures coming
Paul WAP347

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Postby Wal » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:28 pm

Dear all,
been chipping away at making the engine fit in the space and finally managed to get there this weekend. Also made a few other improvements on the way.

So added a new Quaife ATB diff
Quaife ATB.jpg
New ATB

Installed the Cosworth rear brakes and discs to match the Cosworth setup on the front
Rear Brakes.jpg
Rear Brakes

Engine and gearbox now have to go in together, so bolted up ready to install
Ready to fit.jpg
Ready to fit

All installed with the help of much inappropriate language
Installed.jpg
Installed

Airbox will bolt on from the outside so I have some access to carbs by taking off wing rather than having to take the whole engine and gearbox out.
Ready for Airbox.jpg
Ready for Airbox

I know it's still not very tidy or pretty (it is a rat rod) but, as you all know lots more still to do. Water, fuel, and oil connections to sort out as well as electrical and all the other little things.

Regards,
Wal
Wal

Postby 58 MOGGY » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:55 pm

Nice work there Wal ,good to see the lsd in the axle ready for some doughnuts,mmm doughnuts, :lol: :lol:
Dunk
58 MOGGY

England (en)

Postby MM » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:39 pm

Hi,
Any more progress on this build?
Maurice, Kent.
1970 Trafalgar Blue Traveller

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... read=37056
MM

Postby Wal » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:05 pm

Hi,
yes, it's basically completed.

I needed a different radiator because with the supercharger and timing pulley off the crankshaft there was no longer enough room for the original radiator. I found a new alloy radiator with a top fill (which I wanted) that is narrow enough to fit inside the grille mounting. It does mean there is absolutely no room for the fan which I re-located into the bonnet so it can blow down. With new mountings the radiator is on as seen below.
alloy rad.jpg

Next was the oil cooler, that also had to move, so I boxed up the bottom of the grille for it to sit in. Unfortunately I have had to mount it with pipes down which I’d have preferred not to do but there really isn’t space for it otherwise. Below is the new oil cooler cradle.
oil cooler cradle.jpg

Subsequent experience has proved this will have to change as it sits too low even with a skid guard but as you'll see below I'm waiting for the car to come before I can change this.

Oil cooler lines were a nightmare both waiting for them to be made up – all swaged fittings with stainless steel braiding – and trying to make them actually fit in the tiny space. Fitting a remote filter, thermostatic sandwich plate with take offs to oil cooler, accusump and remote oil temp unit under the Volumex in a Morris Minor would have made my hair turn grey if it wasn’t already. I haven’t taken a picture of the 7 cooler lines linking up all those items because it looks like spaghetti junction and some of the lines have to be so short it’s almost easier to just weld the two connections together.

The handbrake problem of converting a standard Morris Minor twin cable pull to a single cable loop (brake to brake) from the Sierra Cosworth seemed at first to be quite simple with some new brackets and a balance bar. But it didn't work so I mocked up some individual cables, got a company to make them up and stuck with a twin cable set up. Picture of one of the new cables is shown below:
Custom Handbrake cables 2019 06 10 (1).jpg

The next big thing was the electronic brain (OMEX), because I can no longer fit a distributor in any of the standard configs (block or cam drive (side or rear)). Thus the engine has a trigger wheel built into the front crankshaft drive so I can run an OMEX with coil pack. I’ve mounted the OMEX through the bulk head so the wiring is into the engine bay but I can access the config port through the passenger glove box. Using a minimum of sensors (trigger wheel, MAP, air temp, coolant temp and coil pack) it’s all wired in. I haven’t yet cut off the other sensor wires in case I decide to use them. But all the sensors and wires are run and wrapped up in sleeving, see below:
OMEX.JPG

Now I've got a second spaghetti junction:
omex fuel and coil pack.JPG

So filled it with fluids and dropped it back on the ground to be shipped off for the exhaust build:
engine  install 2019 06 15.JPG

car side 2019 06 15.JPG

engine above 2019 06 15.JPG

The exhaust build took much longer than I hoped but it's built and you can see it fitted to the car in the pictures below. These are just before it was removed to be sent for Zircotec coating to reduce heat.

The header with 32” primaries
header.JPG

The collector – should allow me to have warm feet
Collector.JPG

The exhaust and boxes
Exhaust.JPG

So now I'm just waiting for it to come back from Zircotec and it's running in time and then rolling road.

Whilst I’ve been waiting for my Morris to come back I’ve been fitting a V8 to an MGB just to keep myself out of trouble. Just can't wait to get the Morris back, run it in and really try it out.

Regards,
Wal
Wal

Postby 58 MOGGY » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:26 pm

Nice to see your build really moving on,it’s all the endless little things that seem to take forever,looking forward to another forced induction Moggy getting on the road,keep them pictures coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dunk
58 MOGGY

England (en)

Return to Moderate Modifications