Project Pick-Up.!!!

Larger 4 cylinder engines, body mods, major brake and handling modifications.

Re: Project Pick-Up.!!!

Postby Oddjob67 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:41 pm

Evening Martin,

Nice to know that the decision to upgrade and make the rear end a little stronger is hopefully a good decision. Judging from what you have done and the amount of Track Days/Events you've put your minor through I've made the right decision. After some thought I believe this also adds a little safeguard compared to the original set up and how the bearing locates on the shaft.

There is an oil seal in the hub and an O ring to stop oil coming out past the bearings and where the hub attaches to the axle ie the original wheel bearing position But there are no oil seals on the shaft as such so when you put the shaft into the hub you put silicone sealant or rtv on the spline otherwise you can get a very small trickle run along the spline.

Agree with your comment about ATB working well if both rear wheels/tyres are planted on the tarmac. ATB can push you a little straighter into corners but given I'm mainly on the road with the odd track day, hillclimb and 1/4 mile thrown in I can live with it.

As for pushing 1G through corners, wouldn't know what that feels like....but might do with new set up....(I can hope ;) )

How's thing with your Minor, thought I'd heard it was being rested.?
Austin Minor 72 Pick-Up
Oddjob67

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby MartinB » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:24 pm

I found that the thin O ring between the flanges didn't work too well and I think I ended up making a thin gasket for the whole flange, the one in the axle case is not normally a problem. It wasn't too bad when I had discs on the rear but when I went back to 8" drums it became more of a problem (went back to drums as couldn't get brake balance right with rear discs due to weight transfer).

These shafts are a huge improvement over the standard ones and the diff is fine for road use.

Yes it has been resting for a while now but will be resurrected and hopefully faster than before. It needs a full refresh but I also want to re-engineer some of it including the rear suspension, the rear roll centre needs lowering as it became an issue again last time I sprinted it, thinking along the lines of either a Mumford link or possibly a De-Dion to allow some negative camber to be dialed into the rear axle and reduce unsprung weight while keeping the 4 link arrangement. Negative camber axles are eye-wateringly expensive, I know someone with one in a Lotus Sunbeam circuit car.

Where are you looking to hillclimb?
MartinB

Awards: 3
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1)

Postby Oddjob67 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:38 pm

Useful bit of information you're providing there MartinB, I'll be sure to put some gasket material in as I'll be retaining the Drums on the rear.
Disc's will look prettier but don't reckon I need them as the rear , especially as it runs unladen.

Look forward to seeing your Minor back on the track once you've given it a new leash of life agin. 400 bhp ain't to be sniffed at by any means.

As for me and Hill Climbing, only the local ones to me so far, Prescott and Shelsley Walsh. Not timed events just fun ones at this stage. I do actually quite like it though but I have much to learn, including driving technique.
I do prefer Prescott over Shelsley. Like to get involved in the Chateau Impney one but I understand that's for race/timed events only.
As for Track Days, while I fancy some tracks the Pick up is best suited to smaller intimate tracks rather long straights. With this recent metimorphasis the Pick Up is going through I'd like to also like to take in some classic Road Trips, both UK and Europe and maybe even some European Tracks.
At Goodwood with the Pick Up in May for a Sprint Style Track Day.

If you're up in the Midlands then give me a shout and I'll take you for a spin in the Pick Up, Never fails to make you smile. :D
Austin Minor 72 Pick-Up
Oddjob67

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby Oddjob67 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:57 pm

Just spent most of the weekend at the Goodwood Members Meeting.
Some great track action and seeing some of the older cars racing down the track you appreciate just how quick some of them are.
A little Lotus even hitting 130mph ain't bad at all.
Seeing the Lightweights e-types hurtling down Lavant Straight, into Woodcote and then the turn of speed when exiting the Chicane is pretty amazing.
Watching the E-types, TVR's and Ferrari's, along with a certain Aston Martin power past some of the V8 Corvette's Stingrays and Mustangs was certainly fun.
Can't deny the stingrays sound nice though.
You also realise how quiet some of cars are compared to what we's expect. It's obviously not all bout the noise.

Looking forward to Goodwood next month when PU makes a return to the Goodwood Track with new implants..

Goodwood, "Are you Ready to Rumble".?
Austin Minor 72 Pick-Up
Oddjob67

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby Oddjob67 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:04 am

I’m getting somewhat frustrated and arrived at a conclusion that some Engine Dyno companies are not as organised as they could be.! Despite expecting the Engine to be on the Dyno 3 weeks ago, it’s finally scheduled in for next week.

With the Easter weekend upon us, and all this fine weather, I’m itching to take the Pick Up out for a spin and try upgrades.
Bugger..!!!!! :?
Austin Minor 72 Pick-Up
Oddjob67

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby 58 MOGGY » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:48 pm

Mmm engine dyno eh!,been wondering what you up to,I was chatting to another minor owner and we maybe have an idea what you up to,I heard Johnathan was selling an engine?mmmm maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dunk
58 MOGGY

England (en)

Postby Oddjob67 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:34 pm

Nothing as radical as yours, but chasing more ponies, more grip (well as much as a wee unladen Pick Up can offer) and more fun. Still Normally Aspirated as when you raise the bonnet I’d like it to still present that 60’s/70’s period look.

No prizes for guessing what it is.

Oh, reminds me I must order some K&N’s.
Austin Minor 72 Pick-Up
Oddjob67

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby 58 MOGGY » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:37 pm

Cool sounds interesting,that lotus engine really looked the badgers naggers

Dunk
58 MOGGY

England (en)

Postby 58 MOGGY » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:36 pm

Just changing oil in my diff with this modifier,hoping it might shut it up a bit,oil has nano technology,all sounds bit Startrek

Dunk
58 MOGGY

England (en)

Postby 58 MOGGY » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:37 pm

Dunk
58 MOGGY

England (en)

Postby MartinB » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:21 pm

Just to provide a little bit of defense for engine dyno people, they do have a habit of staying on a bit longer than expected especially if issues are found. Also unless they already have the mounting kit for the engine that can take a while to make (including flywheel adapter, exhaust extract, oil system (if dry sumped) and wiring loom depending upon what system is used etc.

A friend of mine has just got his up and running, this engine is one I built for a local Porsche restoration company (only issues this had were crap new leads and crap new coil, plus a bit of jetting). He currently has another one on there and was meant to be a single day but has ended up being three due to ignition issues and getting replacement parts (bloody distributors!).
Attachments
Porsche Engine.jpg
MartinB

Awards: 3
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1)

Postby Oddjob67 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:13 pm

Nano Technology eh.! Does sound rather Sci-Fi but as you say if it works who gives a xxit.
Noticed it also break-in additive. Does this mean you’ll have to change it soon after a period of time?

As we’re talking LSD’s, now that’s another story for me. A well known manufacturer informed me they could modify my LSD to 18 spline. So I sent it off to them, purchased 18 spline Half shafts (As posted previously) only to be informed this week that they are unable to do it. The guy got it wrong as they can only do 16 or 22 spline. Arrrggg.!
So if you know anyone who has a 18 Spline LSD, plate or ATB that’ll fit in and English Axle, please forward me their details.
In the meantime I’ll research what’s out there although do like the Gripper Diff.

Now, moving on, Dyno company.!
While I know Dyno Engineers will stay late and noise restrictions allowing will do their best to insure engines are turned around in order to keep customers happy etc.
In my case they have all the equipment, including exhaust and flywheel adaptor but have just prioritised others above mine, and it’s taken a rather “Frustrated” (putting it mildly) conversation last week to get it moving.
I old story of he who shouts the loudest gets it done.
Austin Minor 72 Pick-Up
Oddjob67

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby 58 MOGGY » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:09 am

I thought you had quaife atb,they sell them with 16/18 or 22 spline,so converving yours i would have thought been easy,have you spoken to quaife?
The modifier in my diff you can leave in there,it either helps brake in or lets the plates slip a little easier in tight corners,mine is fine when normal driving its just when parking and real tight corners it chatters
I have had a gripper diff and it was fantastic,no chatter,the car felt so good and stable,never let me down,done perfect on the spot doughnuts.
Know what you mean about being put to back of cue because you use people and treat them like friends,a guy has had my gearbox for five weeks and still hasnt touched it,aaaaaaarrrrrrrrhhhhhhhh!
Im supposed to be going to brooklands Austin/Morris meet next weekend,now looks like that not gonna happen!
Dunk
58 MOGGY

England (en)

PostThis post was deleted by 58 MOGGY on Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:23 am.

Postby 58 MOGGY » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:32 am

Eerrrr think i got it wrong,quaife dont do 18 spline atb,oops,there are plenty plated options on ebay,i have the 3J driveline diff but wouldnt recomend to anyone
IMG_0400.PNG

IMG_0401.PNG
Dunk
58 MOGGY

England (en)

PreviousNext

Return to Moderate Modifications