Manifolds for 1098

Common upgrades - A-Series mods, brakes,wheels, handling, interior.

Manifolds for 1098

Postby Panky » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:49 pm

When I did fitted the 12G940 head I used a Mini combined manifold so I could fit the 1 1/2" SU, but the exhaust outlet was only 1 1/4" so I had to reduce the neck of the new exhaust I fitted - which defeated the object of the exercise somewhat. I already had a Mini Spares ally inlet and recently bagged a bargain Midget exhaust manifold off eBay so I was running out of excuses :) So I spent a bit of time fiddling.

Midget manifold cleaned up and painted

In place with modified down pipe

A new cast clamp is on the way to replace the crappy pressed steel thing

PCV fitted to cut down servo take-off pipe

Not taken him for a run yet as the engine wouldn't start, turned out to be the bullet connection pulled out on the wiring to the electronic dizzy. When he did start engine sounded well with no leaks but may need to adjust things with the new manifold and re-positioning of the PCV.
Panky

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Re: Manifolds for 1098

Postby geezer » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:19 am

Very nice. I did much the same thing with a 1275 Midget manifold. Made a bug difference.
Give an Englishman a car and he'll make it leak
geezer

United States (us) US Mississippi (ft)

Postby Panky » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:56 am

I 1/2" bore all the way now so should be less restrictive. The elbow off the manifold is a little tighter than I would like but not a bad as the pictures show, I used what ever I happened to have laying around and the angle of the existing down pipe from the from silencer made it tight going through the hole.
Panky

Postby Panky » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:16 pm

After a couple of weeks faffing about with gearboxes Ted has finally made it back onto the road :D
While he was languishing in the garage the cast clamp arrived and I made up a steady bar for the down pipe.
So today was the first chance I got to try the new manifolds out and it's a big success, he fair whips along :) Before he would pull fine up to about 3500 revs but struggle to get beyond 4000 - now he will rev cleanly up to 5500 and keeps going, and that's pulling a 3.7 final drive, but I chickened out as It's only a standard 1098 with a 1275 Cooper head and I didn't want to break anything. Most chuffed
Attachments
20160927_132343.jpg
Panky

Postby Panky » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:40 pm

As a conclusion (hopefully) to this tread I've gone back to an AAA carb needle, I tried it when I first fitted the Cooper head, HS4 and and 1 1/2" exhaust but it ran too rich so I went to an AAU which suited the cast manifold set up. Since fitting the new manifolds the car has been a bit kangaroo'y when pulling away gently and hesitant at low revs, winding the jet down made it better but resulted in a fast tick over even with the stop wound right back. So the AAA went back in and it's much better, smoother, quieter and adjustment available on the tickover screw again - plugs are a nice biscuit colour after a good run too so I feel it's pretty much spot on now :)
Panky

Return to Mild Modifications