Wood as new seat bracket?

Common upgrades - A-Series mods, brakes,wheels, handling, interior.

Wood as new seat bracket?

Postby wren1710 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:54 pm

I was hopeing that when I put my new seats in they would fit without to much trouble :roll: but offcourse not, they need a bracket to raise them up, not just the back where the floor slopes but the whole frame to clear one little bit of the handbrake floor.

When I did this last time I got some box section welded up as a frame for them to sit on, it worked well but was expensive, so instead I was thinking wood battons, would that be ok? as the seat would be bolted through the wood and into the floor all the wood is doing is acting like a giant spacer, and of-couse the wood in a traveler is structural so in principal it shouldn't be a problem, right? :?:
Image Image
wren1710

Awards: 2
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

Great Britain (GB)

Re: Wood as new seat bracket?

Postby Custard » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:57 pm

Can't you just use metal spacers from steel box section, 50mm square or 25mm by 50mm.

Ideally they should be wider than they are high.

The risk with wood is that it could split along the grain, though I have used it temporarily to check height etc before cutting metal.

Though decent plywood would not and if you get a smooth skin with varnish and then paint it black it would look like metal.

Sean.
Custard

Awards: 5
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

Ireland (ie)

Return to Mild Modifications