Sound deadening/proofing?

Common upgrades - A-Series mods, brakes,wheels, handling, interior.

Sound deadening/proofing?

Postby Smokey » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:31 pm

FInally, our Minor is back on the road (1275 A+ engine) - the body is looking a bit tired having been sat in the open for a few years, but to be honest I'm quite enjoying it driving a lot better than it looks and people saying, "Wow, does that car go OK?" - it's actually running better than ever - first time I've been able to use it since fitting electronic ignition. Next mechanical job is to fit a Midget diff I recently acquired and I'm concentrating on tidying up the engine bay and the underside first - and may never do the exterior - it took 56 years to look like it does now - I could undo all that!

Anyway, on to the point:-
One other thing I would like to do sooner rather than later, is make it a bit quieter - the only thing it has at the moment in the way of sound deadening is a reproduction carpet set and the OE sound deadening on the inside of the firewall.
Apologies if this has been covered - I've done a search but to no avail - but all ideas gladly received (does anyone do an off the shelf kit for instance?)
It's a bit of a mix of original and light modifications (aside from the wings, boot lid and 1 door, the paint is still 1962) original trim inside but Metro seats fitted, so I'm not too bothered about keeping things looking original.
Smokey

Wales (wl)

Re: Sound deadening/proofing?

Postby Sleeper » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:22 pm

Smokey
I'm in the same mind as you and have nearly fully insulated "sleeper" ready for this year , hopefully not to just deaden any noise but also to keep it warm in Winter and cool in Summer .

It being a tin can, have you seen Steve McQueen in the "Cooler" ? and I've have been told the heater is not the best...

I have done this by applying foam underlay wherever I can , just have the roof to do when I renew the lining..

Will let you know if it works after Summer/Winter.

John ;)

Anywhere I can stick it , I've stuck it , too many photos to load ......

2017_1210insulation0011.JPG

2017_1110insulation30004.JPG
Sleeper

Great Britain (GB)

Postby Smokey » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:06 pm

Thanks - looking good - what product is that? And what are you glueing it with?
Have you used the car with it in yet? I.e. do you know how much quieter it’s mafe it?
Smokey

Wales (wl)

Postby Sleeper » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:31 pm

It was some underlay thrown out by next-door , with Pound shop spray adhesive ( £2:00 per tin) , not tried it yet but will let you know how it goes ...

John ;)
Sleeper

Great Britain (GB)

Postby Monty-4 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:45 am

As a starting point, a major parts supplier in east sussex supplies a period-style mat that you stick inside the bonnet. Then modern aftermarket soundproofing products seem to centre on the concept of sticking down three or more layers of sound proofing material to handle different vibration and noise sources.

1. 'Deadening Mats' - heavy butyl rubber sheet that adds mass to metal panels, reducing and lowering the frequency of vibration from the engine and so on. It's possible to go crazy with this but only about 20% coverage is necessary if I recall correctly.

3. Closed cell foam - your typical sound deadening foam to soften reverb, calm down traffic noise, etc. (closed cell for being waterproof).

2. 'Mass Loaded Vinyl' - very heavy flexible sheets of vinyl laid down over the top large areas to "block" external noise, if one doesn't mind ruining their power to weight ratio!

There are super-expensive brands and significantly less expensive brands, I can't see the difference between them in their products. You would likely be as well off buying rolls of rubber sheet for van floors and so on as spending hundreds of quid on "Dynamat".
Monty-4

United Kingdom (uk) UK Scotland (.j)

Return to Mild Modifications