If you are new to the board or have never made a post before, don't just lurk around, post in here and introduce yourself and your Minor if you have one. It would be great to hear from you.
Nw
New Poster
England

Post by Nw »

Hi all just converted from a wvt4 to a 59 Morris minor van. Well I've had to a year and a half now and it's going on the road this week. Just wondering if the revenue weight of 3499kgs is correct it seems a lot for a little van? Regards nw.

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Re: New member

Post by Custard »

Hi and welcome.

It may be that on registration (or change to a V5 from the old green log book) they didn't know the weight and just put in 3499 so it is in the scope of a normal Driving Licence. Anything to keep the IT system happy and move on. A friend with a Jago Jeep kit car had the same thing.

I presume it says the same in the Max Permissible Mass in the next column.

If its 6cwt it should be around 304.18 kg above the Mass in Service figure.

I am not really sure if it should be 304.18 above the unladen weight, but now they use the Mass in Service which I think is half a tank of fuel and all the oil and water it needs. It became important because of the way the brake efficiency involves the weight of the vehicle.

That is what brought it to light with the Jago. It failed a brake test until the correct weight was used.

Not sure what the Mass in Service figure should be, my 2 door saloon shows no figures for any of the weights.

But using the 1708 lbs from my Haynes manual for a 1098 I get 775 kg so I guess a Van should be a bit heavier in the chassis, but possibly lighter in the box as glass is heavier than this sheet steel. So I would expect your revenue weight to be around the 1100/1200 Kg. So about a third of what it shows.

If you are going to get the V5 changed it would be worth getting a response from someone with van.

Sean.

Plin
United Kingdom

Contribution Stars

MMO Annual Award

Misc

Post by Plin »

:D Welcome to the forum Nw. If it helps, your van is earlier than ours (1969) but our V5 shows - '8CWT Van, 1100 CC, Revenue Weight 807.0 KG Unladen'.

plastic orange
Scotland

Contribution Stars

Members Choice Award

Post by plastic orange »

Hi and welcome,

PO

Undefeated best Orange Hawaiian award Pateley Bridge 5 years in a row.

Nw
New Poster
England

Post by Nw »

Hi and thanks for your replys. If it's just a figure that the DVLA think of and put on the v5 to cover everything up to that weight then I'll leave it as it is. It's mot exempt so won't need a brake test. Still not driven it yet put the front wheels on after renewing the brakes and the thread went on a stud so replacing all of them when they arrive from esm. So maybe I'll get to drive it this weekend. Regards nw