Borris Minor GT

If you are new to the board or have never made a post before, don't just lurk around, post in here and introduce yourself and your Minor if you have one. It would be great to hear from you.

Borris Minor GT

Postby Fionn » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:48 pm

Hi all, fist time poster but been a member a while.
I'm building a split screen saloon with mgb running gear. It's the later 18v high compression and bored + .060. Front disc conversion, Spax adjustable telescopic shocks all round. Also wanna say thanks to all the b series guys they have put a lot of detail in posts of builds and it's been vital to my build.

Cheers

Fionn
Fionn

Ireland (ie)

Re: Borris Minor GT

Postby Plin » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:54 pm

:D Welcome to the world of postings! Great to hear you have already found the forum helpful. Look forward to hearing (and maybe seeing?) your Minor's progression.
Plin

Awards: 11
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1) Contributions 2019 (1) MMO Annual Award 2016 (1)
MMO Top Tester (1)

Postby plastic orange » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:19 pm

Hi and welcome.

PO
Undefeated best Orange Hawaiian award Pateley Bridge 5 years in a row.
plastic orange

Awards: 10
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1) Contributions 2019 (1) Members Choice Award (1)

Scotland (sf) UK Scotland (.j)

Postby midget » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:32 am

Hi, looking forward to following this topic as I am interested in doing the same thing. I have collected most of the hardware and have actually driven the one that was completed (and sold) on here. I wish now that I had bought it myself.
John
midget

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Postby Fionn » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:30 pm

I've been held up on the starter at the moment and I will get some photos up soon. As the mgb unit will foul the chassis, and I don't want to cut the lead in the flywheel as the starter from my traveller won't sit into the back plate. Has anyone ever heard of anyone using a late Morris Maria Starter as the solenoid is facing 180° so not fouling the chassis or distributor?
Cheer
Fionn

Ireland (ie)

Postby midget » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:16 am

I have re read the excellent thread from "moggdan" on here, and he mentions this problem which he solved by using an early starter with mods to the ring gear I believe?
John
midget

Postby Fionn » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:16 pm

I also read moggydan's build. Very informative, but what is the lifetime of one of this modified starters? I seen something awhile back about about Jap starter bolting in, so I just want to do some research before gutting two start's to make one. So I will have a look and see this weekend if that starter is in my notes somewhere, but if this modified one is my only option it's gotta be done.
Fionn

Ireland (ie)

Postby midget » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:04 pm

The only thing I can say is that I actually drove the car (ex moggydan) when it was advertised on ebay last year. The starter was working perfectly then, and the owner indicated that it was not a problem. I asked him as I too was worried about this possible worry.
Although I was very impressed with the 10 mile drive with this, it did need some "smartening up" to justify the asking price. I later saw the same car advertised on a "posh" classic site at twice the price that I rejected!
John
midget

Postby Fionn » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:39 pm

Did it have any other modification? Or an overdrive box? Yeah that's ridiculous carry on, but the market is strange place at the moment. Yeah I was just chatting Dan, he confirmed what I wanted to here. I'm just wondering dose the flywheel need modifying for the starter as is engages the opposite side of the flywheel?
Cheers

Fionn
Fionn

Ireland (ie)

Postby midget » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:15 pm

Yep, fully operational overdrive which worked perfectly. I too messaged Dan who was very helpful.
Have you found his thread on here? It is well worth reading.
John
midget

Postby Fionn » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:34 pm

Yeah John, seen it a while ago need to have a other look for it. As changed my computer and lost all bookmarks, Do you have a link handy. Going at the starter at the weekend need to split the box to clean swarf from cutting box for starter and steering rack. Was that moggy you drove on telescopic dampener.?
Fionn

Ireland (ie)

Postby midget » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:18 pm

Here you go..../viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5212e

Yes it had tellies at rear.
John
midget

Postby Fionn » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:09 pm

Cool and Cheers John, need to have a look at it. I have done very little with the minor in the past few weeks, but got down to the shed to have a look at this flywheel for the starter. When I bolted in my traveller starter it seems to turn freely as the car isn't properly time, I didn't want to turn the engine over. I was spinning the starter over by hand and engaged it, it seem like I don't need to cut the lead. As this is a well worn in unit off my traveller. I'll buy a new one and see if it's the same. The engine and box will be hopefully be sorted and mounted this week also. It's St.Patrick's weekend here so nowhere but pubs open. Also dose anyone have the thread size of the starter bolts for the later mgb, the smaller one that bolts into backing plate?

Fionn
Fionn

Ireland (ie)

Return to Introduce Yourself