Do you remember how changing a radiator was easy?

A forum to discuss everything to do with modern cars.
Well, those days have gone!!!!!! the price we pay for our luxuries..........
What an absolute arse of a job it is now! I had the bad luck to suffer a failed "FRENCH" (valeo) radiator in my daily driver XC 70 recently at only 72000 miles. :shock:

No prob surely...............
Think again, front end off, intercooler out, great care needed to tie up the AC condenser as it is sandwiched between the rad and intercooler. Could have removed it but then would have lost the gas :roll:

Whole job took me 8 hours taking time and great care, im sure a volvo dealer would do it in 5 but at £1500 quid it wasn't going to take place in a dealer and I didnt trust them anyway.

Cost me 70 quid for a rad and a few car-cuts and was a great fun experience even if it was 200,000 miles too early to be doing this job.

IMG_3879.JPG
The vast minority

Awards: 5
Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

United Kingdom (uk)

Replacing the Aux belt on the Clio 172 was that kind of job.

IMG_20180212_113621.jpg
Aux Belt
tickman

Awards: 3
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

Scotland (sf)

Water pump on my Celica GT-Four was apparently a pig of a job. Fortunately my garage gave a fixed price quote and it took them ages. Water pump on a Minor takes under an hour if nothings seized.
TDV102

United Kingdom (uk) UK Yorkshire (eu)

I think the dealer way is to disconnect, drop the whole sandwhich out the bottom and replace the offending item and refit the same way.

Same as you I was not going to disconnect anymore fluids than necessary to do the intercooler on the V70 which seems to be a bit of a common issue on V70s with the D5 engine.

Did you get a lift, doing the bumper was a pain if you want to avoid it flapping and hitting the wing. I left the headlights in and connected as on the V70 you can remove some of the fittings and swivel them forward to make the gap wider than the rad. then fan them out to replace the intercooler which is the middle one and same overall size as the others.

Is yours petrol? Is that why it has a small intercooler?

Sean.
Custard

Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

Ireland (ie)

Custard wrote:I think the dealer way is to disconnect, drop the whole sandwhich out the bottom and replace the offending item and refit the same way.

Same as you I was not going to disconnect anymore fluids than necessary to do the intercooler on the V70 which seems to be a bit of a common issue on V70s with the D5 engine.

Did you get a lift, doing the bumper was a pain if you want to avoid it flapping and hitting the wing. I left the headlights in and connected as on the V70 you can remove some of the fittings and swivel them forward to make the gap wider than the rad. then fan them out to replace the intercooler which is the middle one and same overall size as the others.

Is yours petrol? Is that why it has a small intercooler?

Sean.

Hi Buddy, this is a P3, different headlights and plenty of other changes. You may not know but I changed to a P3 XC 70 as I liked the old V70 very much and decided to use a modern one for work and towing the caravan. Cant remember if I had the P2 V70 when you were here last year..
The D5 and the D3 AWD are exactly the same mechanically right down to the 2 x turbos and the same smaller intercooler compared to the P2 D5 . The ONLY difference is a software "downgrade" on the D3 AWD to lower the BHP to the same as a lowly D3 FWD which is an altogether different set-up. The smart buyer ordered the D3 AWD and had it polestar'd at the supplying dealer which turned it into the 212 BHP D5 with a D3 AWD badge on it (as per mine). Volvo obviously did this to save money and be able to offer a D3 AWD, the existence of which is the best kept secret in Volvo land.
I removed the front end alone on the lawn to prevent damage, But my missis helped with the refit,
VIDA which is is Volvos technical portal advises the job be done with the condenser left in place. In all honesty, If I did it again I would disconnect the condenser and drop it out as a 4 part radiator "pack" comprising fans, rad, condenser, intercooler. it would be galaxies easier :D and well worth the cost of a re-gas on completion.
The headlights take 20 seconds each to remove, only the RHS needs removing but i was going to degrease the whole area anyway to get shut of the sticky mess from the coolant leak.

Its all back together with a new rad, fully degreased and looking like a new car again.

Take a look.
IMG_3892.JPG
The vast minority

Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

United Kingdom (uk)

tickman wrote:Replacing the Aux belt on the Clio 172 was that kind of job.

IMG_20180212_113621.jpg

Hells teeth!!!
The vast minority

United Kingdom (uk)

TDV102 wrote:Water pump on my Celica GT-Four was apparently a pig of a job. Fortunately my garage gave a fixed price quote and it took them ages. Water pump on a Minor takes under an hour if nothings seized.

This is the biggest worry for me, many garages would be rushing like hell to get it done and in the job outlined above the potential to break stuff by rushing would be vast.

I would have to be very busy to take any mechanical repair to a garage.

Glad yours is ok, I'm sure your garage is good.
Al
The vast minority

United Kingdom (uk)

I learned my spannering on my Morris, modern stuff scares me!
TDV102

United Kingdom (uk) UK Yorkshire (eu)

Return to Modern Stuff