new old Volvo for the brave

A forum to discuss everything to do with modern cars.

new old Volvo for the brave

Postby The vast minority » Thu May 18, 2017 9:35 pm

After looking at an old Jag this week and realising how bad they are I decided that this years modern classic fix must be an automatic Volvo with leather and space for the dog and capacity to tow.
So, i've studied every single auto V70 under 3 grand for sale in the land and come to a conclusion, 90 percent are for sale by dealers, most of the other 10% are dealers pretending to be private with possibly one in every 80 cars actually being an owner vendor.

what does this tell us? Well It tells me that the dealers are going to auction and buying them cheap as chips from main dealer PX disposals or insurance write offs and selling for 4 times the price after doing absolutely nothing to them. To test this theory I test drove a 2005 at a dealer yesterday, sure enough the ABS warning and a bulb warning were showing on the screen. They had done nothing yet were asking top money for this car.

So.....I went to an auction today and bought a low miles, one owner 2.4 L petrol 170 BHP SE LUX Auto with full leather, very good service history and excellent MOT history as well for a quarter of what the used car crooks are charging on ebay and autotrader. I did an HPI check to make sure it was all clear and not a cat C or D for 15 quid. I walked away having spent under £500 quid on this car!

No test drives are possible, so only time will tell if I got lucky as I collect it tomorrow or Saturday but the history in the book corresponds exactly with the MOT check history on line, the oil is like brand new golden and clear and is starts and selects the gears, the tyres are good, the body is excellent and everything seems to work. Other than that Im keeping my fingers crossed and hoping I got a good one.

stay tuned.......
The vast minority

Awards: 4
Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

United Kingdom (uk)

Re: new old Volvo for the brave

Postby old english white » Fri May 19, 2017 12:36 pm

It may well be a reasonable buy. Most buyers ignore the petrol version because of the high thirst and opt for the much more economical Diesel instead.
If you don't cover a great mileage, a well maintained petrol one should be fine. You'll just have to buy more fuel - and probably pay more for the road tax but if you paid much less for the car in the first place - then happy days!
old english white

Postby plastic orange » Fri May 19, 2017 6:15 pm

A lot of folk are just buying cars on lease schemes for around £200 a month. Keep the volvo for 3 months and you're quids in. I bought my Lexus LS 400 8 years ago for £2.5k (10 years old). It's probably worth £1k less, so 8 years for £1k ain't bad, and it still drives like a £53k car.

PO
Undefeated best Orange Hawaiian award Pateley Bridge 5 years in a row.
plastic orange

Awards: 8
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Members Choice Award (1)

Scotland (sf) UK Scotland (.j)

Postby The vast minority » Sat May 20, 2017 3:48 am

Hi folks, happy days indeed. Im feeling pretty smug now we are home.
Yep, there are ways of buying luxury cars for shirt buttons, even the Lexus is available to the brave at bicycle money these days. Fuel cost isn't a factor in a hobby car as we all know well. Plenty of diesels about, these must also come to auction for those that like the idea.

Got a lift from a pal the 90 miles to the auction house in Manchester and sent the pal straight on his way explaining that he had done enough, If it went boobies up from here I had my personal breakdown policy to call upon.

Paid the balance including the buyers fee which totalled a whopping £550 quid and slipped into the late Friday afternoon Manchester traffic in my new, cheap as chips executive express :| it even had half a tank of petrol in it so I didn't need to worry about that :D

It was scary at first, I was convinced it was going to explode or go in flames at any second and was super careful with the throttle so the gearbox didn't fall out........ :roll:

However, 45 mins later and through the gridlock, its onto the motorway where we sat at sustained motorway speeds most of the way home with a bit of twisty action the last 10 miles back in the countryside.

Its ace, has a few minor issues as anticipated. Dipped beam out one one bulb, alarm service needed message, info display intermittent fault but otherwise seems all good and drives like an automatic leather sofa should. ;)

IMG_1344.JPG
The vast minority

Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby Custard » Sat May 20, 2017 7:06 am

I have just got rid of My V70 diesel, (bought at 90,000 and sold at 190,000), alarm service message is usually the little battery pack, cheap to get hold off but for obvious reasons it is hidden securely in the o/s wing. Wheel arch liner out job and a sheared head bolt like a steering column, you tube is your friend.

Mine did not have a sunroof, so I let it stay with the warning for over a year, bit if I remember correctly the sunroof has some connection with the alarm circuit.

Doubt it will burst into flames, they are a great motorway cruiser.

Probably has a plastic tool tray in the boot and built in dog guards too.

Sean.
Custard

Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

Ireland (ie)

Postby twincamman » Sat May 20, 2017 10:22 am

I think this is the way forward for buying a modern daily. An older model 'quality' car like a Volvo or a Saab will be as reliable as a newer 'bread & butter' car (Ford, Vauxhall etc.) for less money, an you get more comfort into the bargain.
twincamman

Postby old english white » Sat May 20, 2017 10:50 am

It is a choice, which will suit some people and not others. It'll also depend on the mileage an individual covers. For me personally, a car with such high fuel and road tax costs would not be practical as the overall running costs would be too high. That is why such cars are so cheap - there is a very limited market for them.
On the plus side, if you can fix a car yourself, cars of that age might cost more to run but are much more repairable than more modern ones which have become so complicated.
old english white

Postby smithskids » Sat May 20, 2017 4:04 pm

Ours is a 56 but a diesel,looks the same colour, lunar pearl, black leather goes like a bomb, 50mpg fully loaded and very reliable. We have owned it for 9 years. :D
smithskids

Great Britain (GB) UK Yorkshire (eu)

Postby The vast minority » Mon May 22, 2017 3:29 am

Thanks for input all, pull up a chair....

Ive been busy already and now I know why the car came to be at auction :oops:

Its a strange tale, one that you might not believe possible if you heard it down the pub but I assure you it is absolutely true!

I was feeling very smug on Saturday morning after having driven my 500 quid luxury car all that way home on a Friday evening. I used the car to go get breakfast in Thirsk on Saturday and once at Tesco decided to check oil level, it was a bit on the low side so I bought GTX from tesco which was half price. lucky it was half price really as its dear stuff to throw down the road which I was about to do :oops:

Drove home very sedately enjoying the plushness of this new "classic" actually singing "getting to know you" whilst full of thoughts of the day ahead as I was going to help a friend with her TR2 which hasn't started for 3 years. I had no idea of the shock I was about to get........................

Later the same morning I departed to said friends house, a drive of 25 miles. part way there, whilst being followed by another volvo I entered a left hander on the country lane, put the foot down and s*** , the car following me dissapeared in a cloud of white smoke that must have scared the bejeezuss out of them.

Buggeration, talk about feeling an anticlimax.............................This car hasnt got a turbo so I knew that I hadnt just injected oil into the exhaust from a failed turbo and it could therefore be much more serious.

Stopped of course when safe, a hundred yards or so up the road whereupon the folks in the other volvo roared out of the smoke and off on their way, one can imagine their conversation was unlikley to be complimentary about the experience they had just been involved in.

Smoke issuing from under the bonnet, I dare not open it so sat there for a while, When it had all cleared I started up again and looked at the exhaust.......Fine, nothing in the exhaust, revved it a bit, still fine, finger up pipe, still fine, no oil evident whats going on........opened bonnet, smelly oil smoke coming up the back of the engine.

These engines do half a million miles so i'm telling myself at this point that it has to be external and the smoke out of the back is a result of forward motion at the point the smoke is created. As it happens i'm correct in this but the source is such an unlikely one and took a bit of finding. These cars have a well known issue with the crank case ventilation systems or PCV as they are known. They block and the crankcase gets pressurised. it is not unknown for them to blow the rear main seal, the front seal, the camshaft seals and even blow the oil filler seal. There was so much oil plastered around the back of the engine and all over the steering rack that I discounted all of these suspects.
These are modular engines, the turbo and the non turbo share the common 5 cylinder block I was able to find out. On the non turbo versions there exists a rubber blanking plug in the turbo oil return pipe hole at the back of the block. Or rather there should exist a rubber plug, mine is absent as I found with the help of a mirror and a torch.

What happened was, on acceleration, the now fully topped up oil level sloshes to the back of the case, exits the hole and lands directly on the exhaust and offside driveshaft. the driveshaft sprays oil everywhere and the exhaust turns it all into a cloud of smoke. Great, at least I found the problem. Im sure the PCV will be blocked which led to a pressurised crank case and this in turn probably fired the plug out so ill remove all that gubbins and replace with new as well as order the replacement plug.

What a giggle! The previous owner must have been driving it as the plug came out, saw all that smoke and thought get rid NOW! This explains the half tank of petrol that was left in it!

Anyone got a steam cleaner I can borrow ;)
The vast minority

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby greendefender123 » Mon May 22, 2017 10:13 am

Glad it should be a simple fix. Iv just bought a diesel astra on a 57 plate for £700 Iv spent £540 on it in the last 6 months. All wear and tear items apart from the gearbox needing rebuilding. I find with newer cars they just cost more to fix. I bought a year old citroen afew years ago. Once the warranty ran out I flogged it. The head gasket went at 20000 always had lots of little running problems. Also had to replace some suspension. My last car was a 1998 fiesta drove it for 11 months. It only cost me £35 which was for a backbox, oil and filter. I only didn't put it through another mot as the screen cracked and the bushes were very worn. That was £150 well spent. Still got it over the field.
greendefender123

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby The vast minority » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:51 pm

Its been a big challenge getting this old bird up to speed but shes really coming along. Loving the petrol, I had forgotten how nice and refined biggish petrol engines are. Anyone remember revving stuff to make it go?

Using as ERIBA tow car and dog transport.

19054931_420726068309026_3987694251661447115_o.jpg
The vast minority

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby The vast minority » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:20 pm

So far ive....
replaced the core plug in the empty turbo oil return hole
replaced the PCV system in its entirety. This was totally blocked and is what caused the core plug to blow, see pic to demonstrate crank case pressure, its a sow of a job, inlet manifold out which isnt like doing it in a minor. :D imagine removing the fuel rail just to remove the manifold........
changed a coil pack and bought another as a spare
sent the instrument cluster for repair
replaced torque control arm on autobox to subframe
changed swing bar bushes
Replaced top engine mount
totally flushed the Aisin Warner box, that's properly to include convertor, valve block and sump
Bought Volvo DICE diagnostics kit (not got it working yet but I will)
and a few other bits and bobs

Future jobs,
Drop links
Wishbones
maybe subframe bush inserts
maybe front strut top mounts

This is what happens to Volvos with 100,000 miles on them. Never buy one without doing the glove test. This is my car and my pic after I fixed the core plug and before I fixed the PCV (positive crank case Ventilation) system

Now you cant get fun like this with an old A series..... ;)

IMG_1392.JPG
The vast minority

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby Panky » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:01 am

Looks like it's an internal job - I'm waving back :D
Panky

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Postby The vast minority » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:57 am

Panky wrote:Looks like it's an internal job - I'm waving back :D

Giggle :lol:
The vast minority

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby Big Al » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:06 am

Looks like a Main Dealer addition telling owners not to touch the engine...
Big Al
Furry Feet

Awards: 9
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) MMO Annual Award Winner (1) MMO Top Tester (1)

England (en) UK Hertfordshire (.h)

Next

Return to Modern Stuff