Gearbox filler plug

Just like it says, Top Tips & FAQ's

Gearbox filler plug

Post by Guest »

Not exactly in the most easy to get at locations, so once you slacken it with a suitable socket, take a piece of old heater hose with a slit in one end. Push this over the filler plug and unscrew using the hose. Same goes for putting it back in, stops you cross threading it, or having it drop several times onto the garage floor. Saves buying a rather expensive magnetic socket extension bar.

alex_holden
Humperdink

Post by alex_holden »

I keep a small strong magnet (salvaged from my electrical junk pile) in my socket set for this purpose. The other Ray recommends trapping a piece of paper between the socket and the plug.

ImageImage
If it doesn't work, hit it with a bigger hammer.

Orkney

Post by Orkney »

Have used blutak before now for awkward ones and even double sided tape when there was no blutack to be found.

On the oil filler must admit always take it out from the top and put back from underneath by feel just to ensure its not furious threaded which can be al to easy to do with a socket from above if yove got the wrench attatched to the extension.

Post by Guest »

On the subject of magnets. Knackered hard drives contain extremely powerful magnets and they are quite small and slimline. Stick one to the side of socket extension and never drop a nut again.