In these uncertain times

Just like it says, Top Tips & FAQ's

In these uncertain times

Postby Sleeper » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:32 pm

In these uncertain times , when society seems to be going to the dogs , there is nothing I can do about the death-trap smart motorways , but , there is something one can do to protect ones self when passing through dubious areas , that is , locking the drivers door.
Now you may say , " Morris Minors cannot lock the drivers door" and you'd be correct , in their infinite wisdom they decided that as you age you would become become forgetful and lock the car keys in the car...the answer to that is, carry a spare in your wallet.
The other question is, " how can I lock the drivers door from the inside , the answer is " ten minutes work and an angle grinder and pin-punch "
Remove the doorcard and find the blocking pin ( arrowed ) , taking great regard to Health and Safety , grind the protruding pin flush and tap it out with your hammer and punch ( give it a fair whack so that as it escapes , it jumps past the mechanism. )

Before..
2020_0216frdoorlock.JPG

After..
2020_0216RRearclock0001.JPG

Re-fit the door card , and drive with confidence..

John ;-)
Sleeper

Great Britain (GB)

Re: In these uncertain times

Postby dp » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:10 pm

On the 2 Minors I had there was a hole in the drivers door mirroring the internal lock in the passenger door. The driver's door lock mechanism had a hole where a tab as per the l/h locking tab could be fitted. It was easy enough to replicate an internal locking tab. Probably added for foreign markets
dp

Awards: 8
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1) Contributions 2019 (1)

Postby chesney » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:45 pm

I thought that manufacturers couldn't have internal locking handles for reasons of security?
If you were sat in a car that was on fire and locked for whatever reason, you would always be able to get out easily.
That's certainly been my observation with cars over the years.

Not to discredit your work, it's a neat idea, just an observation/discussion?
chesney
I beat the Great MMO Challenge!

Awards: 1
Contributions 2013 (1)

France (fr) UK Yorkshire (eu)

Postby Sleeper » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:29 pm

If there was a fire in my car,I'd operate the opening lever and get out....the mod just prevents people outside getting in through the drivers door while I'm in it...

John ;-)
Sleeper

Great Britain (GB)

Postby chesney » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:08 pm

Hi,
As above, I wasn't suggesting it wasn't a good idea, merely explaining why un-lockable interior handles exist.
chesney
I beat the Great MMO Challenge!

Awards: 1
Contributions 2013 (1)

France (fr) UK Yorkshire (eu)

Postby PoolGuy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:46 am

My last few modern cars and vans have automatically locked the doors as I drive away.
PoolGuy

European Union (EU) UK England (.g)

Return to FAQ's & Top Tips