Bonnet Release

Just like it says, Top Tips & FAQ's

Bonnet Release

Postby Alchemist » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:12 pm

Hi All, Sorry if this has been asked before but I did cast my eye down the previous topics and couldn't find any reference. I have just purchased a very nice and well restored Morris 1000 (1961). On inspection it does look as if it has suffered from storage and a little neglect as all of the hinges and catches are very dry. I have successfully lubricated said hinges and door catches with lithium grease, however I cannot for the life of me open the bonnet! It was open yesterday when I viewed the car but since getting it home I cannot seem to shift it. I have found the bonnet release cable under the dashboard (I think) and given that a tug, but it does not want to release the bonnet catch. Is there a knack to opening these (like there is to start her)? or failing that is there an effective alternative method of releasing the catch? I have tried getting underneath but have only succeeded in scratching the paint off the radiator grill. I suspect that it is just dry and have given it a health spray of WD40 and Grease in the hope that this will free it up. Any suggestions welcome from a very new owner. Thanks in advance
Alchemist

England (en) UK Kent (.i)

Re: Bonnet Release

Postby plastic orange » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:19 pm

It's not a cable - have you been pulling wires? It is a metal rod located on the drivers side under the dash close to the bulkhead. The metal rod is formed into a handle in the cab and pulls directly onto the bonnet release mechanism.

PO
Undefeated best Orange Hawaiian award Pateley Bridge 5 years in a row.
plastic orange

Awards: 8
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Members Choice Award (1)

Scotland (sf) UK Scotland (.j)

Postby Alchemist » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:29 pm

Thanks you are right have found it! I was following what the handbook indicated was the bonnet release a knob on a bracket between the steering column and heater control knob under the parcel shelf...I wonder if this is to do with the heater then???? Once again thanks for your help :roll:
Alchemist

Postby old english white » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:59 pm

Yes, the knob you've been pulling controls the fresh air intake - I suggest you get yourself an owners handbook ;)
Have fun with your new car!
old english white

Postby Alchemist » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:33 pm

haha as I mentioned I was using the handbook that came with the car...I can only think that I miss read the diagram, which was only a line drawing and to be honest did have the knob that I thought was the release located a bit further along the parcel shelf...still never mind, as they say on TV "Should have gone to spec savers..."...lol :lol:
"In twenty years from now it will be the things that you didn't do that you will regret the most" Mark Twain.
Alchemist

Postby DaveS » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:26 pm

Nothing like the learning curve.
We've all done been there just ask away.
Welcome and enjoy. :D
Dave
DaveS
Duffer

Awards: 7
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

England (en) UK Lancashire (lk)

Postby Alchemist » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:22 pm

Thanks Dave..to be honest the fresh air control knob looked like the bonnet release knob that I had on the MG so had little reason to question my logic but felt really stupid when I put my hand under the dashboard and found the handle as described above... as you say learning curves are great... I have been with modern cars far too long can't wait to get to know my Morris better......looking forward to the Summer and all those car shows and autojumbles
"In twenty years from now it will be the things that you didn't do that you will regret the most" Mark Twain.
Alchemist

Return to FAQ's & Top Tips