Glove box doors

Source that elusive widget
Forum rules
You can put wanted posts here for anything, Please state your location in the post.
When you no longer require the item/s then please make a post saying so, so a Mod can delete the topic.
Posts will be automatically deleted after 90 days.
bumpy
Great Britain

Glove box doors

Post by bumpy »

Does anyone have a pair of glove box doors they no longer want, preferably with hinges. Colour and condition not that important.

The picture attached gives you an example of what I would like. Please pm me if you have anything interesting. Thanks Chris

Morris Minor 2 door saloon May 1963 in dove grey. 83,000 on original engine. Known as Moggy Moo.
Heated front and rear screens, disc brakes on front, heater, radio, refitted interior including new seats, electronic ignition.

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Re: Glove box doors

Post by Custard »

I would be tempted to alter the description as I think most would regard these as the later model lids.

1st picture shows the later dashboard fitted when the starter operated on the key and the Speedo surround was introduced.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1995&hilit=dashboard+pics

Sean.

bumpy
Great Britain

Post by bumpy »

Now you've got me a bit confused Sean, which is not difficult.

Here are the pictures of my dashboard and a close up of the glovebox opening (even with the hinge holes in place as standard)

Have I got it wrong?
Attachments
P1090471.JPG
P1090471.JPG (82.25 KiB) Viewed 88 times
P1090471.JPG
EXIF-Data show/hide
Original image recording time:
2020:11:18 09:31:21
Image taken on:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:31 am
Focus length:
5.1 mm
Shutter speed:
1/20 Sec
F-number:
f/2
ISO speed rating:
Whitebalance:
Auto
Flash:
Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Camera-manufacturer:
Panasonic
Camera-model:
DMC-LX5
Exposure program:
Normal program
Exposure bias:
0 EV
Metering mode:
Pattern
P1090472.JPG
P1090472.JPG (57.02 KiB) Viewed 88 times
P1090472.JPG
EXIF-Data show/hide
Original image recording time:
2020:11:18 09:31:29
Image taken on:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:31 am
Focus length:
5.1 mm
Shutter speed:
1/40 Sec
F-number:
f/2
ISO speed rating:
Whitebalance:
Auto
Flash:
Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Camera-manufacturer:
Panasonic
Camera-model:
DMC-LX5
Exposure program:
Normal program
Exposure bias:
0 EV
Metering mode:
Pattern

Morris Minor 2 door saloon May 1963 in dove grey. 83,000 on original engine. Known as Moggy Moo.
Heated front and rear screens, disc brakes on front, heater, radio, refitted interior including new seats, electronic ignition.

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Post by Custard »

The picture you posted shows the ones that suit your car.

It is just that there is a later dashboard shown in the link I added. So I thought anyone with the ones you want may not look at the post as the title was for "later ones".

When they added the key start on later models its attachment was different.

The ridge round the key had to disappear as the new one fastened with an exterior threaded collar similar to the switches, but larger.

At the same time they added the alloy trim round the new switches that were toggle rather than push pull.

They made the glove box lids curved and added the chrome pieces to seal off the end of the curved lids.

The steering wheel changed as well to the plastic two spoke one.

I am not sure exactly when they changed, I am not good on remembering dates etc.

There was a change over period around 63/65 Where Minor 1000 went from 950cc (948cc) to 1100cc (1098 cc).

At the same time the bigger lights came in with separate indicators which I think you now have and the old control box for flashing brake lights to turn disappeared. A lot of earlier Minor 1000s were subsequently modified. To have the later lights and larger engine.

I actually tried to get the glove box lids for mine and struggled, I eventually found a black one which goes with the red car and decided I was going to put instruments the other side so didn't need a drivers side one.

As far as I am aware they never fitted a drivers side hinged lid on the later models anyway, but just had the fixed surround shown in the link I posted. Presumably because it wouldn't fold down without hitting the cowl round the indicator stalk.

Sean.

bumpy
Great Britain

Post by bumpy »

Thanks Sean for taking the trouble to explain. Its so difficult at present with no Classic Car Shows to see other cars in the flesh and my car is on the cusp of changeover so falls in two camps.

A couple of points.
1. Some of the doors of the type I am looking for have chrome surrounds. It that part of the doors itself as I cant see how there is room between door and body for a chrome trim.
2. Its too late for me to change the title now so if a MODERATOR is looking in could they remove the words "to fit later models".

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Post by Custard »

Yes it is the edge of the door and is flush with the hinge.

It is attached with small countersunk screws.

Pictures below.

Lid.JPG
Lid.JPG (366.04 KiB) Viewed 70 times
Lid.JPG
Top Edge.JPG
Top Edge.JPG (462.07 KiB) Viewed 70 times
Top Edge.JPG
Bottom Edge.JPG
Bottom Edge.JPG (382.47 KiB) Viewed 70 times
Bottom Edge.JPG

Sean.