New Kermit

Non Mog stuff

New Kermit

Postby The vast minority » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:06 pm

There was no way I was going to be without something to tinker with :D
Of course, Maude will be getting sorted in time for spring but meanwhile ;)

I've been secretly looking for ages for this car, I wanted a very early one in the very best condition and found it recently hence Kermit had to depart.

I really did need the space but new Kermit does the job of 2 cars, provides a spare for her ladyship to use when she hasn't told me her jeep needs diesel and gives me something to polish. I can also get it covered on a classic policy so I'm not driving a modern, honest.... :oops: it's great that I won't be fretting about getting it wet or salty and can just have fun.

wasn't interested in the spec, or if it was a cooper or a ONE I was looking for extremely low miles with full main dealer history and picked new Kermit up with 24000 miles, one owner, garaged all its life for rather less than old Kermit fetched. The condition can only be described as like new.
Right, eBay to sort some cooper wheels now.
IMG_0120.JPG
The vast minority

Awards: 4
Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

United Kingdom (uk)

Re: New Kermit

Postby Gavin3659 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:31 pm

Very nice. Always thought the newer minis looked great fun but never had the chance to drive one. Hope you enjoy!
Gavin3659

Great Britain (GB) UK Scotland (.j)

Postby Plin » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:27 pm

:D Hope you have fun - but it may prove to be too much fun and your wife won't want to share it!!
Plin

Awards: 9
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) MMO Annual Award 2016 (1) MMO Top Tester (1)

Postby Jingle » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:17 pm

Old Kermit was most definitely British built, is New Kermit German built or from good old Blighty - think it's the later ones built here now?
Hairdressers car IMO, but all who have them love them, and we certainly have plenty of them in the north east - each to their own.
Old Kermit had far more character, but as you say you can concentrate and tinker on Maude now.
Short back and sides please, when I see you next Mr Al :D
Happy to be Grumpy
Jingle

Awards: 2
Contributions 2016 (1) Members Choice Award (1)

Scotland (sf)

Postby The vast minority » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:26 am

Indeed folks, and yes, the character of Kermit won't really be recaptured here but his memory lives on in Maude whom will emerge a thing of wonder. Talking of Kermit, he isn't for sale yet by the dealer. I included the extra paint so I think he's doing the sills and bumper valences as these were still to do to complete the job.

Anyroad,,
Had a proper drive in mini and now I see what all the fuss was about in 2001.
Even her ladyship is impressed with the find so yes, it might be difficult getting a go for a while.

She will use if for 3 months over winter for going to work as the wrangler has headlights like chitty chitty bang bang's! Wrangler will take a rest and will just be used in bad weather to knock other cars out of the way.

It won't be easy keeping it looking like this but one can't have such a car and not use it, even if it is a museum piece at the moment.

Scissors at the ready Jim..

Under the bonnet.....for your pleasure. Orange patch on driver side strut tower by the hole is just body wax.
IMG_0125.JPG
The vast minority

Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby The vast minority » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:37 am

Gavin3659 wrote:Very nice. Always thought the newer minis looked great fun but never had the chance to drive one. Hope you enjoy!

Thanks, I will.
Strange as it may seem, i had never had a go in one either and had only once driven an original BMC mini a short distance with a collapsed rear subframe, way back in the 80,s :D
Al
The vast minority

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby plastic orange » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:58 am

Sorry Al, I'm not impressed. I test drove quite a few when they were first out and didn't like them - slow, poorly finished and poor ergonomics, but the ladies seemed to like them :D
Still, if it saves a minor from the salt, then a good shout. There were some models - Cooper S I think that had very fragile engines.
I may have some original sales brochures for them if you like - if I can find them.

PO
Undefeated best Orange Hawaiian award Pateley Bridge 5 years in a row.
plastic orange

Awards: 8
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Members Choice Award (1)

Scotland (sf) UK Scotland (.j)

Postby The vast minority » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:23 am

plastic orange wrote:Sorry Al, I'm not impressed. I test drove quite a few when they were first out and didn't like them - slow, poorly finished and poor ergonomics, but the ladies seemed to like them :D
Still, if it saves a minor from the salt, then a good shout. There were some models - Cooper S I think that had very fragile engines.
I may have some original sales brochures for them if you like - if I can find them.

PO

Your probably right Pete, the early ones all had their problems. Note that the front towing eye cover is missing from this one!!!! Which is it's only apparent fault.

This missing cover I s documented in the history as far back as 2010 on a service report, possibly earlier but I've not looked at it all yet.

I have a mate who got his money back from BMW after his 51 reg car spent most of its first year in the dealership, most faults will have been fixed by now I hope.

What will impress you even less is that this car is a CVT auto :!: which are known to self destruct anywhere from just 500 miles upwards.

I like a challenge :lol:

If you have any original brochures that would be great, pm me and I'll send addy and pay your costs.

Al
The vast minority

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby Rick1963 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:24 am

My wife has had the Mini One and now she has a Cooper. The One was a nicer drive as the suspension is softer than the Cooper. Being a small low car the Cooper model can be a bit of a boneshaker if you hit the bumps a little hard. That said it's a fun car to drive :lol:
Rick1963

Great Britain (GB)

Postby plastic orange » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:15 pm

Sorry Al, my wife threw out all the mini brochures 3 months ago. I'd only kept them since 2002 :oops: and they were the really expensive looking ones too - typical woman.

PO
Undefeated best Orange Hawaiian award Pateley Bridge 5 years in a row.
plastic orange

Awards: 8
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Members Choice Award (1)

Scotland (sf) UK Scotland (.j)

Postby The vast minority » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:38 am

Rick1963 wrote:My wife has had the Mini One and now she has a Cooper. The One was a nicer drive as the suspension is softer than the Cooper. Being a small low car the Cooper model can be a bit of a boneshaker if you hit the bumps a little hard. That said it's a fun car to drive :lol:

Crikey, that's good to know. Our old bones might not be able to take such a pounding but the seats are probably the most comfy and supportive every experienced. We took the little thing to Scarborough and Whitby yesterday for a proper test as she is using it from Monday for the winter. It's a great ride, seems like they got it spot on without being soft or overly harsh. Tyres were all on exactly 1.3 bar when I got it, this tells me that the old dear either thought it was too hard at the proper figures of 2.1 front and 2.4 rear or that whoever checked her tyres for her had a Chinese electric inflator.

Very old folks constantly dick about with tyres, my next door neighbour is 88 and still driving, he is found sitting on a stool with Chinese tyre inflator buzzing away at least once a month and more frequently in the summer.

Anyway, long 150'mile test drive completed and It's Deffo a great buy. Looking at it and driving it, it's hard to believe it's a year old, never mind 15.
The vast minority

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby The vast minority » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:40 am

plastic orange wrote:Sorry Al, my wife threw out all the mini brochures 3 months ago. I'd only kept them since 2002 :oops: and they were the really expensive looking ones too - typical woman.

PO

Thanks for checking Pete, expensive ones in the recycling eh......

Fortune vomits on my eiderdown once again!

Al
The vast minority

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby The vast minority » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:40 am

I wish it was this easy to get alloys for minors.
25 quid each corner for one year old cast-offs complete with original spec tyres with loads of tread.

Being able to buy quality parts is a bonus to my new hairdressing status :D

They are cheap because most folks want 16 or 17 inch so these 15's end up unloved and upgraded early. Just the thing for smartening the mini up and staying OEM with OEM tyre sizes.

IMG_0030.PNG
The vast minority

United Kingdom (uk)

Return to Off Topic