Looking for hard fact ref odometer tolerance allowance

Non Mog stuff
The vast minority

Contribution Stars

Looking for hard fact ref odometer tolerance allowance

Post by The vast minority »

Bit random for an old car forum but someone here may have this knowledge. Ive just taken delivery of a new vehicle that reads 34% low which I'm sure must be illegal.

What im looking for is FACT and it is impossible to find.

what I want to know is, legally, what is the permitted tolerance for odometers in new vehicles. Thats odometer not speedometer! I am not interested in speedometer, just odometer.

Does anyone know the tolerance and can you point me to the source on the internet? Im looking for fact, not thoughts as I'm sure you can appreciate.

Many thanks
Al

Big Al
Furry Feet
Great Britain

Contribution Stars

MMO Annual Award

Misc

Re: Looking for hard fact ref odometer tolerance allowance

Post by Big Al »

My understanding is that it is not a legal requirement in the UK to have an odometer fitted to a car nor is it subject to an MOT test when required. On that basis providing the manufacture or seller do not imply its accuracy or otherwise they may not be committing an offence or need to provide an accurate one.

However, knowing the odometer is defective and not declaring it at point of sale is an offence. Believe it or not ‘clocking’ an odometer is not the offence, it is the knowing it has that is.

From my last council there is their take on this. https://www.bromley.gov.uk/leaflet/122658/4/675/d

As for faulty new goods ‘trading standards’ would be the best place to start for the most up to date interpretation of British Law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Post by Custard »

I would have said the same.

Seems odd if Speedo is correct as they usually run off the same sensor.

Its not displaying Kilometres by any chance and a programming error in a digital dash.

Sean.

Big Al
Furry Feet
Great Britain

Contribution Stars

MMO Annual Award

Misc

Post by Big Al »

Custard wrote:
6 days ago
I would have said the same.

Seems odd if Speedo is correct as they usually run off the same sensor.

Its not displaying Kilometres by any chance and a programming error in a digital dash.

Sean.
Good thought Sean but his is reading under. 100km = 62mls which would read as 38% over.

Al keep logging it, after the lawyers have finished PPI, VW dishonesty and now Car Manufacturers loan schemes I'm sure they will like to cover this sort of thing too... :roll:

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Post by Custard »

Yes I thought a 38% may be the cause as it would only be 4% out which is more acceptable.

Though with a speedo anything under is incorrect, all the acceptable error has to be in over reading.

In the old days identical gearboxes had different drive gears in because of the different wheel sizes and diff ratios in the different vehicles they were fitted to, but it always affected both odometer and speedometer.

In this case they are different which would logically point to something in the programming.

It could even be reading miles thinking they are kilometres and doing that conversion to get a lower number.

In any case its not fit for purpose. If you tell him the campsite is down a track after 100 miles he will be looking for it after 66 miles.

I hope he can get it sorted without too much hassle.

Sean.

The vast minority

Contribution Stars

Post by The vast minority »

Cheers guys,
Its an electric moped, bought to cart about in the back of the van. 20.1 miles recorded on the Garmin GPS64 was 13.2 on the trip meter.
I did this test because the village circuit is 3.5 miles and it came in way below that on its first ride
Yesterday I did 10 miles GPS 6.6 indicated!

Ive sent an email to the importer last Saturday telling them about the problem but they have not bothered to reply. Silly silly silly.......... :roll:

I pointed out that insurance companies wont be impressed as many, including mine have a limit to the miles on the policy, my limit is 2000 but that mileage indicated would be 2680, a 34% increase in the chances of causing or having an accident!!!!
used buyers will also be getting stitched up as 20,000 miles indicated will really be 26,800 and their customers will think that the bike only did 13.2 miles on a full charge!

That aside, the little bike is great fun.
Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 20.42.34.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 20.42.34.png (4.52 MiB) Viewed 32 times
Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 20.42.34.png

Big Al
Furry Feet
Great Britain

Contribution Stars

MMO Annual Award

Misc

Post by Big Al »

Al, if you odometer said 10 but your GPS said 6.6 then that would suggest it is set in KM as Sean suggested. 10KM is 6.2 miles so give or take with your GPS that would be right. Likewise with 20 reading 13 on you r GPS. Have you a 4 year old handy who can look into the settings to make it in miles?