Copper wire

Non Mog stuff
Sleeper
MMO Button

Copper wire

Post by Sleeper »

Dear All

Any budding electrical engineers/metallurgists/chemists etc out there? Hope you can help me?

Quite a while ago I bought on a well known auction site some twin , red/black copper wire for general use ,
speakers etc
2020_0112twinredblack0001.JPG
2020_0112twinredblack0001.JPG (69.74 KiB) Viewed 517 times
2020_0112twinredblack0001.JPG
EXIF-Data show/hide
Original image recording time:
2020:01:12 13:50:51
Image taken on:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:50 pm
Focus length:
5 mm
Shutter speed:
1/30 Sec
F-number:
f/3.3
ISO speed rating:
Flash:
Flash fired, auto mode, return light detected
Camera-manufacturer:
SONY
Camera-model:
DSC-W170
Exposure program:
Normal program
Exposure bias:
0 EV
Metering mode:
Pattern
All was well for a while till they went faulty...traced it to the wiring and both wires were faulty , so replaced them...all was well for a while again till....
So , after ripping the wiring out again , had a closer look at the cable and it seemed the copper wire was " disintegrating " for want of a better word , which brings me back to a problem a couple of years ago when I had problems sealing hydraulic fittings , mult-ipacks of various copper O rings were found to be steel , copper plated , so now I carry with me a small magnet....won't be caught out again!!

Back to the copper ? wire , how can one tell if it is copper wire or as suspected copper plated aluminium wire ?

Thanks

John

Panky
United Kingdom

Re: Copper wire

Post by Panky »

You could check by scraping the wire with a blade then try and solder it, ally wire won't take the solder.
I used to fly model aircraft and a strange phenomena came to light after I crashed one of my models - I lost all control and it just fell from the sky. The negative wire on the battery pack that was in the model had disintegrated, the insulation was fine but the copper core had turned to carbonised dust. I found out later that this was a common problem and was labelled 'negative lead corrosion' I wonder if this is a similar issue you are having for some reason.

dp

Contribution Stars

Post by dp »

Already replied on the other site :)

http://tinyurl.com/brk4a4a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sleeper
MMO Button

Post by Sleeper »

Solution

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks
John ;-)

TDV102
England

Post by TDV102 »

Cat5 UTP network cable is useful for speakers and gives you 8 cores! Unless you use high wattage gear. At 20W per channel its fine.

Panky
United Kingdom

Post by Panky »

Sleeper wrote:Solution

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks
John ;-)
What did you find? is youre CCA?

Sleeper
MMO Button

Post by Sleeper »

Yet to find out,the only flame I have is a jet type lighter , maybe the flame is too hot ..will buy myself a ciggie lighter shortly.

Have tried scraping the copper coating off but the " filaments" are so fine that it's hard to tell whether it's shiny copper or another material..

John ;-)

frosty
Australia

Contribution Stars

Post by frosty »

There has been reports that there has been problems from copper wire from china that is breaking down within the cables
:shock:

We're friendly ~ have a look see
http://www.morrisdownunder.com/forum/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sleeper
MMO Button

Post by Sleeper »

Update
Test " burned " my copper wire , the copper colour soon disappeared it them went limp.....Aluminium

Another lot, the copper colour burned off but stayed stiff....steel ? Non Magnetic ?

Ordered from some from Durite after checking with them , pure copper , will have to keep an eye out for failing electrics and renew pronto ...

John ;-)

Sleeper
MMO Button

Post by Sleeper »

Update

Now that the problem has been located and rectified,after a rest and a not too good night sleep , it comes to mind that I had almost a complete roll of this red/black figure of eight wire , and I am now remembering where i used it...the reversing light switch ( just rewired this recently after it stopped working ) ,the feed to the verandah lights ( these are problematic at the moment ) , the six speakers in the Moggie , four behind the headlining , the list goes on...

Not looking forward to removing the headlining again...but there you go , what is the saying " Buy quality , buy once "

John :(